New to forum - 12' Lund

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popperpitcher

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to motor boats for fishing.

I bought a 12' Lund which is too small but what I could afford to get on the water. The boat is in nice shape and has a 6 hp Yamaha and sits on a jet ski trailer.

So far my only gripe with the boat is that my 200# holds down the transom but it runs bow up too much no matter how I position the motor tilt. I moved the gas tank as far forward as I can by adding a long gas line which helped a bit. If I move forward to the center seat it makes a big difference but controlling the motor isn't realistic. Full throttle it runs great and scoots right along but at slower speeds it throws up a wake.

Suggestions? Trim tabs? Hydrofoil?

Jack

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

It's all about what you can afford. A small boat is better than fishing from land. Your best bet on getting your bow to level off is add more weight. If you had a bit more motor it could plane off. When in doubt, add a rock or two. They are generally free and easy to return. Really though... Any weight will work. You could add a casting deck or platform, battery, etc.. In my experience never had any luck w/ hydrofoils. Usually just lost speed. Trim tabs could work, but never seen them on a jon boat.

We here at TB appreciate pics, so if you have the opportunity show us your rig. Also be sure to add your location. You might have some members in your city.

popperpitcher said:
I'm new to the forum and to motor boats for fishing.

I bought a 12' Lund which is too small but what I could afford to get on the water. The boat is in nice shape and has a 6 hp Yamaha and sits on a jet ski trailer.

So far my only gripe with the boat is that my 200# holds down the transom but it runs bow up too much no matter how I position the motor tilt. I moved the gas tank as far forward as I can by adding a long gas line which helped a bit. If I move forward to the center seat it makes a big difference but controlling the motor isn't realistic. Full throttle it runs great and scoots right along but at slower speeds it throws up a wake.

Suggestions? Trim tabs? Hydrofoil?

Jack

Typically you make modifications to in order to help get up on plane. If you are getting up on plane OK then I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. Boats throw up a good size wake when not on plane. I have a Lund WC-12 and it is a great little boat, much deeper and wider than most 12's and has the split rear bench.

Yup. Smaller boats like a balanced life. :)

I've got about 50 lbs of sand in an army surplus rubberized laundry bag. When I have no passenger, I put that lump of a thing in the front to balance the boat. One 12ftr I had liked the bag to the left front, because it was sensitive enough to cant with MY weight being in back to the right.

I can shape and shove it all the way up to the prow, if I choose.

Simple thing. I've heard of folks using old inner tubes from cars or trucks as a container.

Boat will travel better, easier in chop, and be easier to steer.

Have fun.

12' Sears V-hull here, I plan on fabbing a trapezoid shaped live well to mount in the bow just forward of the front bench. Along with the battery and anchor, it should add some weight up front to help with plane and handling. It will also allow me to adjust the amount of weight via the water level.

The 12' Lund is a 1999 AC. I'll post a pic when I get one.

I'll try experimenting with weight in the bow though space is very limited! Moving the gas tank did help a tiny bit.

Another thing I considered is a tiller extension so that I could move to the middle seat but so far I haven't seen a cheap one that I like.

I am thinking of adding a bow deck which would add some weight. I enjoy flyfishing for bass (hence the name popperpitcher) and a deck would provide a place for fly line to sit and reduce tangling on equipment and gas tank.

Jack

I have a 12'er too and I keep everything as far forward as possible. The gas tank and battery are at my feet. My tackle bag sits infront of the middle bench. My two anchors and dry boxes are in the bow. That seems to work pretty good and my 6hp will get it on plane. I have a friend with a similar size boat who also puts his spare tire in the bow to add weight.

popperpitcher said:
I am thinking of adding a bow deck which would add some weight. I enjoy flyfishing for bass (hence the name popperpitcher) and a deck would provide a place for fly line to sit and reduce tangling on equipment and gas tank.
Jack

I hear you on the tangling. I fly fish regularly from my 12-er and have caught much more stuff inside the boat than outside. I also made a front deck, though for covered storage not casting. Be sure to test to be sure your hull won't be too tippy with a front casting platform.

rickybobbybend said:
I hear you on the tangling. I fly fish regularly from my 12-er and have caught much more stuff inside the boat than outside. I also made a front deck, though for covered storage not casting. Be sure to test to be sure your hull won't be too tippy with a front casting platform.

Tangling can be a a pain :roll: I used to flyfish from a canoe sitting in the front seat and paddling the canoe stern first. Stripped line into the water which was easy to deal with. I gave up the canoe mainly because I couldn't load it onto the roof of the car any more.

The boat is a lot easier to deal with but I think will take some getting use to. I don't plan on standing on the deck since my 9-1/2' 8wt rod allows me to sit. Launching/trailer is a project! Once in the water it makes a very nice fishing platform but a bit smaller than I had thought. Wish I could have found a 14' boat. Fitting everything I need in the boat is tough and I need to do some major organizing and planning. I am thinking of a smaller tackle box and smaller cooler. I may look at smaller gas tank since this motor seems to use little gas.

The planned deck will cover most of the boat eccept for two foot wells and the area between the aft seat and transom. The forward foot well will have a flush hatch that will be removed for two fishing. I plan to carpet the deck and hatch. I'll also make foot boards for the aft foot well. This is a bit fuzzy now until I catually do some measuring and design work.

I don't have a trolling motor and am trying to decide if I want the added expense and stuff to deal with. Oars are amazingly effective for fishing and if the motor dies they may save the day. I'll probably fish w/o the trolling motor next year and then make a decision.

I have a 1989 WC 12 with a 5hp Merc on a trailer. I built a storage space where the bow seat was with a deck rail to rail with a door to keep things dry. (basically enclosed the bow area) I then mounted a bow thruster 55LB to the deck area for positioning the boat for casting mini jigs. The battery sits up front of the middle seat with my coast guard stuff inside the storage locker. I'm hoping this levels me off for a good ride. I've had larger boats in the past to fish saltwater but now I'd like to fish freah water bass and crappy so I'm hoping this little guy will do the trick. The boat seems to be build well and the history of Lund boats seems good to me. Time will tell but one thing for sure that I've learned over 64 years is the smaller the wetter the boat will be. I will post a picture as soon as I can, I think you guys will like the way it looks. Good fishin' AL

Latest posts