capacity question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffin

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a question about the maximum person capacity on my boat. its a 2013 alweld 1648VZ with a side console. It has a 68" beam and is rated for a 40hp max (is what i have). i am wondering why it could only be rated for 3 people max. and i see boats on here that are also 1648 that are rated for 5? why would this be?

Whats the weight per person or total weight persons?
I know years ago they around 150lbs/person maybe seeing as your boat is new(2013),they increased the weight of an "average" adult person(possibly 200lbs)....just a guess.
My boats a 1652(2006) and it's 5 person or 685lbs so thats even below 140 a person.

Alweld builds a heavy boat, .100 guage as opposed to .072 or .070 from other manufacturers. Thus the increased weight of your hull decreases your passenger capacity (it's still 150lbs/person).

If two hulls have the same displacement, the lighter one will carry more weight. It just won't bounce off a stump as well!

Look at the specs on this chart and you'll see the hull weight difference.

Subtract the hull weight from the capacity and divide by 150, that will give you the approximate "Persons" rating. The larger the rated motor is the lower the rating goaes as well due to it's added weight.

Attachments

• 1648 specs.gif
    1648 specs.gif
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,188
thanks for the replies. i checked with my friend that has been with LA wildlife and fisheries for over 20 years (seems credible) and he said the max person capacity wouldnt be an issue as long as i am not over the weight limit. my issue with it is the potential to have two children and my wife in the boat with me. my wife is not heavy by any means, and the children are under 10 y/o.

Zum said:
Whats the weight per person or total weight persons?
I know years ago they around 150lbs/person maybe seeing as your boat is new(2013),they increased the weight of an "average" adult person(possibly 200lbs)....just a guess.
My boats a 1652(2006) and it's 5 person or 685lbs so thats even below 140 a person.

775 persons, motor, and gear

I was just guessing,the other explenation was probably on target as well.
Although my boat is 100 gauge...5 person(685) 1100lbs total.

I wouldn't worry to much about it,just play safe.
As long as your not real big people you should be fine
Is was just going though some other posts and seen a 1436 rated for the same amount of people as yours;3(395) but his total weight was 615.So your person thing still has me confused.

me as well. i tried calling them (alweld) today but it just rings and rings. will try again on monday.
did math and with my wife and child in the boat, gas, battery, motor - i cant have a trolling motor and be within the safe limits.
me - 185
her - i dare not say, but not heavy by any means
son - 40-50 lbs
motor - 219
and i guesstimated 100 for battery and gas

just called Alweld, the friendly lady told me that they are rated for 4 people with a total of 880 lbs (ppl, motor, gear) and that someone probably put the wrong capacity plate on my boat, she is calling me back shortly to get it sorted out

Latest posts