Seeking advice on new Jon and motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CW5

Reaction score
Hello- first post!

I've been fishing for many years with my canoe and I'm getting tired of the limitations, especially going upstream on the Delaware River here in PA. So I am looking at a package from a local marina so me and my kids can do more fishing. Here is what I am thinking: G3 1648 or 1652 with a Yamaha 25HP outboard. I never bought a boat before (except the canoe) so I am looking for opinions on this combination. Will the 25hp be big enough? What kind of speed would I get? I'm not very concerned about top speed, but I do want to get up on plane and be able to move a maximum of 4 people. What are the pros/cons of a v-bow vs square bow? The area of the Delaware where I plan on using this can get quite shallow (18" or so). Anyone know the limitations on draft for this boat and motor? I'm pretty sure a jet drive is out of my budget.

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

You will need or eventually want a bigger motor. Especially if you are planning on pushing four people. I just got back from BPS and their Tracker Grizzly 1648 were out rigged with 40/50hp Mercs. They do offer a package with a 20hp but I could foresee that being incredibly under powered. I believe the 20 was $8k, 40 $10k, 60 was $12k ? If you've got the money look into Evinrudes Etec.

I have a 1648 flat jon with a 25 HP, and it can't even plane out with 2 adults(close, but not quite). With myself in the boat, no problem. With 4 people, it will be terribly under powered. I like the flat bottom better, but the mod. V will be a little better in wavy conditions.

Just a suggestion; find a nice used jon on CL, W/ no motor, and use the savings to buy a jet. There's quite a few rocks hidden in those riffles, and most of the river. GUARANTEED- if you run a prop, you'll wish you had gone with a jet, and will be buying one later on.
Other option would be to buy a used setup, with the jet already on.
We live in an area where jon's W/ jets are pretty common, between the Delaware, and Susquehanna rivers, and there are some decent boats listed on CL.
Just don't buy one that looks like it hit every rock in the river!

Andy Taylor said:
I have a 1648 flat jon with a 25 HP, and it can't even plane out with 2 adults(close, but not quite). With myself in the boat, no problem. With 4 people, it will be terribly under powered. I like the flat bottom better, but the mod. V will be a little better in wavy conditions.
A 25hp should plane off just fine,atleast with two people.

If your 25 will not plane your 16 footer and its running like it should all you need to do is buy a lower pitch prop.you will want to have the moter running on the high end of the rpm range and not on the lower end.Sounds like you have to much pitch,drop down to pitch

Thanks for all the replys!

So if I could get a used 1648 or 1652, and a new jet drive, what size motor would I need? Do the v-bows have a deeper draft than the flat bow? What is the shallowest water I could take the boat in? I don't want to spend more than 7-8K on boat, motor, and trailer.

I have a G3 1648 (mod v) with a 25HP Yamaha 2-stroke and even with my engine not running up to par, it will still plane out quick and easy with 2 adults and a child. The few times I have been able to get the engine to run full throttle it hauled a$$ in that boat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a G3 with a 25, I personally think it's a great combo for your average load. I have even used this boat on a 11K acre lake on a busy day with large wake waves and it did just fine.

G3 is owned by Yamaha.

if the selling dealer knows anything about them, it should be possible to get their feedback.

Also, Yamaha's website does have some performance bulletins online. I seem to remember a 1652 with an F25 listed as one of them. I checked but I'm on a work computer and can't access but a certain few sites-and Yamaha's site is not one of them.

In general, if the boat is rated for 40 HP (for an example), 99% of us will not be happy unless we're running right at the rated HP. I've sold a few to people that were rated for 40 HP and they wanted 25's. Most of them either sold the 25 and upgraded to the 40 or traded up. A couple that I can remember kept their 25's because in certain areas, 25HP is the uppermost HP limit. But they wished they could run a 40.

My war eagle runs 25 hp, it's rated for 40. It's fine for just me but with my girlfriend, tackle, cooler, and all the gear, it's sluggish. It planes and runs 26 mph max but it's no hot rod. I wish I had a 40 on it but I want a certain Yamaha F40 (4 cylinder). The newer 3 cylinder EFI engines are sweet but it's not what I want. I could change my mind if one were cheap enough though :)

Latest posts