help new boat owner please!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockhart52

Reaction score
Hello,
I just got my 1st boat and having a hard time. I am fishing from the back of the boat as i do not have a front trolling motor. try to troll and fish to cover water but the front will not stay straight and i am not able to stay parallel to the cover that i am trying to fish. I am hopping that someone can give me tips on fishing from the back using the trans-mount motor. a friend of mine to me to add wight to the front and that will give more control. i have not tried that yet

I plan on building a low deck and adding a trolling motor to the front next season but with so little time left I will have it done this year.

o forgot to say i am bass fishing.

This is difficult to do especially bass fishing the shoreline, been there done that. My advice would be to see of you can spin the head of your trolling motor around and mount it to the bow. I know a lot of people have done this and it makes fishing the shoreline much easier. Other than that you are always going to fight against your boat with a transom mount, especially in the wind. I fished for 25yrs with a transom mount until I bought a PDV2 bow mount this year and I cannot say enough how much more time I spend fishing instead of trying to get my boat back into position. All the years of wasted casts and missed opportunity are finally over :D

when flying solo my 14fter just want to spin. there is not enough side surface to push against the water at the front to keep it straight.

i bet a keel/rudder type deal that you could clamp up front to the side when fishing would really help.

Dear lockhart,

Adding weight to trim out the boat is important, especially if you are a big man in a small boat. What you don't want to do is add dead weight. Lengthening your battery leads and putting your trolling motor battery up front might be all you need. If you carry a cooler or a bait well move them forward too if you can.

If you are getting pushed around by the wind you may be able to compensate a bit with a drift sock if you are in a lake. Just google drift socks and you will get some ideas.

If you are in a river a 12" section of 3/8" chain can be tied to a rope attached to your bow eye and dropped down to slow and straighten your drift. Drag anchors work great but pay attention if you stand to fish. When a drag anchor snags the boat goes from 3 or 4 mph to zero immediately but your body still wants to keep going 3 or 4 mph so you can easily fall over if you don't anticipate the sudden stop.

Think about what you need to do and I'm sure you can come up with a way to tighten up your direction al control.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

I agree that you need weight in the front to level your boat out in the water.

Sandbags, blocks, jugs of water, buckets of rocks, etc. Try different weights in different positions before you decide to start permanently rearranging your boat and find out what you need where to make it work.

Latest posts