Wood Gunnels- What kind of boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49erbassman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, great website you have here! I have an old tin can I have had about 6-7 years and it has wood trim all along the top edge of the boat. DMV title says it's a 1958 sea king. It measures about 11 1/2' with a 51 or 53" beam (can't recall off the top of my head). I have searched every where for a similar boat and I cannot find anything. Well about 3 weeks ago I stumbled upon a boat for $50 and eventually got it for free. The DMV title on this one says it's a 1955 trailorboat, but this boat is identical to my other one except for the wood trim has all been removed. The HULL on the freebie is in much better shape than my leak fixed tin can so I want to finish restoring the seats, wood trim and transom on the freebie and get rid of the other one. Once again I can't find any info or pictures of any boats that look like these. I will try and get some pics ( mods should look into Tapatalk app it's a great app for forums and I can post pics from my phone where they are all located at.

I don't plan on keeping the boat very long so I think I will just use some water soaked pine and shape it around the gunnel and hit it with a good marine grade varnish. I would really like more info on this boat or pictures so I can see what it really looke like. The current one I use has been modified quite a bit but the layout and size of the two boats are practically identical. I can always text some photo's to someone if that would help.

Any info on these type of boats would be great. They don't have any number plates any where.

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

There are a couple Mfg'rs from back in the day that lined the gunwale with wood. I bought one last year and I believe it was a Quaitcha? None the less I wouldn't try to mess with the paperwork if you plan on selling it once repairs have been made. Just make sure the HIN# matches and you're good to go.

Here is a post that shows you how to add pictures to your thread.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3664

Attachments

• cc5.jpg
    cc5.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 375
No concerns with dMV paperwork. Would just like to know what I have so I can find pics to compare