Boston Whaler

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
A couple months ago I noticed a really nice flat bottom, dual axle, roller bunk trailer on the side of the road and stopped in to inquire about it for sale. $500 wasn't a bad shake but it was bit too serious for my current application. While in the yard I noticed the seller had a small Boston Whaler along the side of the garage. Asked about it and wasn't interested in selling, " Nope ", he said. This wasn't surprising as I've never met an owner of a Whaler that wanted to sell. A month or two later I saw the seller again, inquired, not interested. Just today, again we met. I ask again, and sure enough he is ready to sell. I asked how much, didn't say, but mentioned he wasn't proud of it.. So in an hour or so I'll be going to take a look.

It's been so long since I've seen it I cannot remember if it's a 9' or 11' tender, or even a 13' sport. All I remember was it was in need of paint, and it was small. Normally I don't give fiberglass boats the time of day, but it is a Whaler and I should learn how to work with glass eventually. From what I've learned living on the Alabama coast over the past two years is that a Boston Whaler is one of the most sought after glass boats. Wood, Stauter Built. Oddly enough no particular Aluminum boat, just that it's an Al-Weld construction. " Awl weld " as they say.

The only two glass boat I owned I bought for the trailers. lol. If I were Mr. Money bags I'd be looking at one of those 212 Mako's though. #-o

Attachments

• 3PieceBoat384x236.jpeg
    3PieceBoat384x236.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 464
  • f_252029094-31a5b561.jpeg
    f_252029094-31a5b561.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 464
I am not a huge Whaler Fan - I do like my Makos - owed a 253 WA for a number of years and will soon be getting another in the 28-30' class

If I was to go that small I would opt for a Carolina Skiff -

I still freaking hate fiberglass boats man, i'm good with fiberglass though my father taught me growing up making mold's and skin's for dragsters. Hardest part is getting the gel coat to set and it's expensive.

I'll stick to my alum that i can beat the dog piss out of and not worry about it exploding.

Out here on the left coast, owning a Whaler is almost a religion. I've been on a number of them and they are a fine ride: fun, stable, rugged and unsinkable. They're also heavy and, as is true for all religions, expensive. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in one under the 13 sport. I think you should get it and let us know how it works out.

I actually looked at several Boston Whalers a few years ago when I was in the market to replace my existing glass boat. Out here on the West side, the prices are ridiculous for fixer uppers! I just sold my Bayliner and bought an Arima project boat which I am replacing just about all the electronics on it. I'm going to try and fire up the engine tomorrow but have already looked into prices of new outboards for it.

B.O.A.T. :shock:

If it is reasonable, get it.

As you say, they are desirable, and even if you fall in love, it will probably be cleaned up, fixed up, and sent on its way, contributing to your "perfect boat" fund.

In the meantime, you get the experience and some sense if you want to mess with one later on.

Have fun.

Well I went armed with HIN info sheet in hopes to identify model & year. No numbers though it had been registered once as it had a faded state sticker. Another down side, it was a 9' tender. #-o

When the seller comes home he will let me know what he wants for the little rig. My value is $100max. I'll spend $50 on some cheap paint and replacement decals, and ask $250-$350. A lot of people down here have Trawlers or yachts so these small boats have purpose plus it's a Whaler*. Good boat for single person with a trolling motor on a small pond/lake. Fortunately that's not me.

Below, pic of a new tender.

Attachments

• 2151231_1.jpg
    2151231_1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 401
If you can get that whaler for 100 bucks, I would be all over that. That boat is easily worth 500 or more the way it sets. You are right about people with trawlers.....there is a huge market for this style of tender in my area, especially whalers.

Whalers are great boats and hold their value well, but!... if the hull is breached and the floatation foam is saturated they're pretty much worthless. Check the hull and insides for holes and cracks, lift the boat to see if it is unusually heavy. If it's heavy, has holes/cracks, or has patches on the fiberglass walk away.

Latest posts