non skid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-MAN

Reaction score
i have heard that you can paint ply wood and then add sand to it to make it non skid. I have a question though... Does it make the wood water proof to where i can hose it down with out it soaking in the water? Also any steps/ web sites/pics/ that any of you know of or have would be helpful.. Also what paint and sand.

Thanks in advance

If you seal the wood good enough you should have no problems hosing it off after a day of fishing so long as you're not letting the water pool up on it for weeks at a clip. Use any good exterior paint and primer paying particular attention to the edges(I prefer oil based but for plywood latex would work fine, it holds up for years on houses). You could seal it with epoxy first to make it really waterproof if you wanted.

As for the sand, almost anything would work(mason's sand, play sand, heck you could even get a bucket of it from the beach). Just sprinkle it lightly and evenly(you only want a little bit just to give it some grip, you're not looking to make sandpaper) over a wet coat of paint and give it another light coat once it's dry to lock the sand in place and to "soften it up" a bit.

Latest posts