gluvit or aluminum gutter seal for leaks?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkonrai

Reaction score
i have this 82 valco that needs alot of work. i have some stress cracks on the rivets as well as too many unknown leaks. i have decided to drill and epoxy putty / aluminum patch the large cracks.
now for the rest of the rivets, i know how to buck the rivets but it looks like i need to seal the insides. been reading about the gutter sealent, as well as gluvit. which one finishes nicer for paint?
which is better? i plan on painting the inside with some marine rustoleum roll on paint.
thanks
dino

I don't think the gutter seal is designed for the flexing a boat does, I'd go with Gluvit or Coat-it since they're formulated for marine applications... Coat-it is cheaper.

I just applied Gluvit to a boat this afternoon and it dries very shiny (looks like glass but flexible) and will have to be scuffed before paint will stick to it.

Not sure about Coat It as far as prep for a top coat.

the cot it is black in color, and it isnt that much cheaper than the gluvit. waiting to save up some funds so i can order the stuff.
how did your gluvit come out? was it hard to mix?
dino

Gluvit always comes out really nice and slick.

It's easy to apply with a foam roller but you will have to baby sit it for an hour or so to keep it from sagging if you are doing the sides of the boat.

I was recommended "Coat-It" by Goop company and had great results with it, its a 2 part just like gluvit but its only around 25 dollars.

Latest posts