aluminum transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisr

Reaction score
I've got a early 80's eldocraft 15' that I'm going to have to put a transom in soon. A comination of how the transom is put together and the splashwell is going to make it a real pain so I'm thinking of building a all alluminum transom and never have to worry about it again. Best I can tell on a G3 at the local dealer is theirs is just a aluminum frame with some cross bracing. I've never seen one outside of a boat so just curious if anyone on here has built a aluminum transom and may have a few pics. I was thinking of using rectangle tubing for the outside frame, angle for cross bracing and a 3/8" aluminum plate where the motor bolts. I do tent to over build things sometimes so if anyone else has a suggestion let me know. Thanks in advance.....

Here's one I installed last week. I'll probably do a write up of the entire boat sometime later this week, but here are a couple (poor photo quality and messy shop, I'm sorry), pics to give you an idea.

Boat is a 1650 riveted boat. Outboard is a Mercury 40/25 jet, which was reinstalled on a CMC jackplate. Jackplate mounting holes had bushings welded, and the seemingly extraneous verticals are to provide bolt purchase for the pods, handles, etc. Flat bar was tapped for the knee brace bolts.

The original transom in this boat was 1.5" of plywood, 10 inches tall. This one, though actually 17" tall, and significantly more rigid, is actually lighter than the removed plywood.

transom.jpg

transom1.jpg

transom2.jpg

Very nice work! That gives me a good starting point on mine.....thanks.

My boat has a factory aluminum transom.I'd take acouple pictures for you but the seats are part of the support so it hides alot.
Anyways,here some.
Oct.14 (1).JPG
Oct.14 (2).JPG
Oct.14 (3).JPG
Pa150075.jpg

Latest posts