Anyone else getting tempted????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kismet

Reaction score
I should be done for the year. I've purchased four boats, and have kept the best two. I have motors for both; heck, I have EXTRA motors for both. Don't need any more anythings. Would have to struggle to find stuff I don't have.

That said, I'm still cruising Craig's list and there are a few listing that just poke me like a rock in my shoe.

One is a 14 tinboat with trailer which would probably sell for $200. It needs paint removal, maybe a transom, and the trailer is listed as "heavy duty," but really looks home-made. Guy states he's taken it to Canada three times.

Probably has. This boat has the look of a used-hard-put-up-wet fishing tool. It would require a lot of labor, but not a colossal amount of investment. But...then what? I'd have another 14ft fishing boat. I gots one of them.

A second listing is a 16 foot semi-v, hard to tell if it is glass or tin, but since it has imitation lapstrake sides, I'd bet it is fiberglass. Comes with trailer and what looks like a 5-6 hp evinrude and trailer. May go for around $400. So, figure some money for the motor, and general re-hab for the boat, but not a huge amount, and then...well, since I don't need a 16ftr, off it would go to market in the Spring.

But, jeez louise, what am I thinking?

I'm done. I got the boats I need, and extras galore, and yet...there's these temptations that the work they need I could do and boy-oh-boy, what a great boat(s) they would be.

I need therapy. This is just dumb.

The thing is...I LIKE fixing up the ravages of time on the boats.

:(

:? :? :?

Am I alone in this, or are there enough of us to form a support group?

Ditto, ditto, ditto.......................

I just sold a glass boat last month that I had re=powered a year ago.

I just bought my fifth boat last month to take me off shore fishing. In fact I just got it back today from the shop with a brand new 90hp outboard and new steering cable. So far a little over $12K into boat and it hasn't touched the water yet! It's only money.................................. :roll:

Meanwhile my tin is under wraps and waiting for it's next outing. :D

Well, fall is here and many boats appear on C/L this time of year.
Many folks like yourself start thinking of projects for the long, long winter. :(

jasper60103 said:
Well, fall is here and many boats appear on C/L this time of year.
Many folks like yourself start thinking of projects for the long, long winter. :(

It was over a hundred degrees here last week! This week we are in the balmy 90's.

i have only purchased one boat and one kayak this year. but i would say that i have spent 60 to 80 hours in my garage either repainting, replacing rivets or modding/brainstorming what to do with my boat. i have also spent a considerable amount of time cutting twice because i measured once. while i have only spent 1200-1300 on total on my boat and trailer including permenant tags and registration for my boat. i dont need another boat but i find myself periodically putting mine up for sale just to see what i can get for it and looking to see if i can find a plain shell for me to start on. for me the build is the best part other than the first time on the water after all the work i have put in to it. so you are not alone and i think we could form multiple chapters of (tbaa)tin boat addicts anonymous.

I have purchased 3 boats and a couple of extra outboards in the past year or so. Have all I need now to last the rest of my life and piles of stuff such as new depth finders, pumps, etc in my office waiting to go in them this winter. Still look at Craiglist daily for some reason I just can't put my finger on. Call it an obsession!!

i just picked up 82 valco, trailer, johnson15hp for 400.. i sold my other for 700.00. my wife says i need to be committed to a institution. i have gone through about 20 outboards in the last 4 years. dont really know how many boats. im down to two boats. the 12 foot tin, and a 15 foot bayliner.
and three motors.... actually four including the bayliner. two run :)
i still surf cl daily. i have seen so many motors going for cheap. sometimes i get them most times im 5 or 10 minutes late.
dino

I picked up a 10' hydroplane a few years ago. I just moved it to a friends garage to do some fiberglass work, motor controls and new steering. It should be a fun boat on the river.

fender66 said:
It's a disease and I'm not sure there's a cure. :wink:

From the sound of everyone's comments, not too sure you guys are looking for a cure, just some company in that "rehab" world you frequent. I've never done a rehab, thought some about it but afraid I would spend too much $$ and not have much of a boat afterwards, so I don't do that.

I have bought 2 yaks this year, well, really since Mothers Day weekend this year, and have spent hours and hours surfing the net on how to rig them for crappie fishing. I've got one of 'em done, the 1st one purchased only needs a FF on it, which I have in the shed but haven't finalized how to deal with the transducer mount on a sit in yak. I know it will come to me eventually. I like and enjoy the thinking about how to do this or what if that, and have had each yak sitting on the garage floor acting like I was on the water, going thru the motion(s) of this or that to make sure it will work for me. Wife thought I was a bit crazy when she came out to see what I was into, there I was sitting in my yak in the garage, with a adult beverage, just sitting there thinking. She just turned around and went back into the house, knowing she did NOT want to be seen with her crazy spouse. LOL

Oh, BTW, if anyone needs entry level FF's for a project, I've got 2 collecting dust and still work AFAIK.

I am with ya Kis, My 14 is 2/3 complete, I have a 12 standing buy, and I am looking at an old lakestrap style already. This winter I will really be broke since my 21 glass boat needs some serious tlc......that is gonna hurt...... ](*,)

Fer cryin' out loud, I talked with a yet another guy, this time one who didn't know how long his aluminum boat was, and would check on the transom and some gunwale dents.

Called him back and it turns out it is a 14ft on a trailer that needs bunks, but not much else (from the pictures), AND...

He volunteered to drop the price down to $100, 'cuz otherwise it was going to the wreckers for scrap.

He says transom is fine, dents are...well, dents; one hull patch.

I haven't called him back yet, but I KNOW I'm going to.

I am sick. I have Winter storage for my current craft, this one would have to be covered and sit out, and it is not much fun to work on a tin boat in the cold, and I got other stuff I could/should do, and, and, and....

:? :roll: :?

Mothers, tell your children not to do as I have done....

i'm looking for one of those 8 foot speed boats from the seventies. i have no room to store one or to work on one,but i'll cross that bridge later :LOL2:

Kismet said:
Fer cryin' out loud, I talked with a yet another guy, this time one who didn't know how long his aluminum boat was, and would check on the transom and some gunwale dents.

Called him back and it turns out it is a 14ft on a trailer that needs bunks, but not much else (from the pictures), AND...

He volunteered to drop the price down to $100, 'cuz otherwise it was going to the wreckers for scrap.

He says transom is fine, dents are...well, dents; one hull patch.

I haven't called him back yet, but I KNOW I'm going to.

I am sick. I have Winter storage for my current craft, this one would have to be covered and sit out, and it is not much fun to work on a tin boat in the cold, and I got other stuff I could/should do, and, and, and....

:? :roll: :?

Mothers, tell your children not to do as I have done....

so wheres this boat :roll:

I know what you are saying. Ive purchased (3) boats since April. A 16' for the intercoastal. I bought a 1431 that I stripped, painted, added swivel seats, flooring etc. And this week I picked up a 1542 semi V with a trailer, fish finder, 15 hp Yamaha, lights and all other cool stuff. That will be for the bigger lakes to scoot around on. Doesnt need much work. But I felt some sort of relief after I go tit home as if I took care of that craving :) Im addicted.

so wheres this boat :roll:

Well, because I am a man of great personal strength and resolve, the boat is still there.

The trailer is next to my shed. Boat was junk when new. Subsequent decades of abuse, battering, and what looks like the evidence of being hit by logs (on the sides!), did not improve its utility.

I gave the guy some advice, including how to clean it up, and wait until Spring, and drove away with a pretty decent trailer.

I am STRONG willed.

and the boat was junk. :)

For what aluminum's going for right now, you might as well have turned it in for scrap.

After much decision, I'm on the lookout for a post 80's 15hp SS motor. No more junk.

After that (and/or barring that) all money is being set aside for a larger more capable tin - but I'm not in a hurry. To get into the range/quality I want for the next boat I'll be heading into the thousands instead of the hundreds, but in the mean time my ol' Aerocraft is still in the garage, payed off and kitted up, and raring to go.

I'm deep into a pretty heavy renovation on a 2003 Tracker Grizzly 1654 aimed at getting it ready for duck season. Theres been times where I think I'm in over my head but I think with the support of the knowledge base here on tinboats it will turn out fine.
Rehab is for quitters...

OK. I'm done. Not getting it. Not going to do anymore boat work this year.

Don't want to go into how much less money a rig like this would have been. :)

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/3291715563.html

Apparently, I CAN learn.

ok so a few months ago i picked up a 88 evinrude 15hp, and a 74 merc 7.5 for 200.00. got the evi running after about 150.00 in parts. dropped 150 in parts on the merc but it still idles like crap.
i did pick up a 88 long shaft evinrude 6hp for 180.00. starts great idles good just doesnt want to rev. cant stop this cl addiction :) anyone want a good deal on a 74 johnny 15hp, or 74 merc 7.5?
dino

Latest posts