hts2000 aluminum rods anyone use this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have used this to repair a small crack before. The trick is to clean the area real good and remove all corrosion. A small stainless steel brush works good to clean the area just before heating. You can't use too much heat or it will start to warp.

jigngrub said:
To fix what?

Leaking rivets?
Leaking welds?
Leaking seams?
Leaking welds???

What's the matter with your boat?

all of the above??? :shock:
P1040528.jpg

P1040531.jpg

P1040532.jpg
P1040535.jpg

do i get the beat up boat award??

Have a cap bent and welded over that crack in the transom cap.

Have them weld up the small holes.

Fill the big holes with solid rivets or have them welded also.

I have some and used it Today .Really looks good on my 16f bottem corrosion spots..Time will tell.Useing problems were few .Biggest problem was getting enough heat out of a Mapps Torch .A 16ft heat sink can absorb lotsa heat. There write up said on larger boats ,might have to use a OX/Act with a small rosebud tip.I got a rosebud orderd off EBAY will be here tueday.Clean area well sand,file wire brush right before you put heat on it and tin it like they say then complete weld/braze....cva34

cva34 said:
I have some and used it Today .Really looks good on my 16f bottem corrosion spots..Time will tell.Useing problems were few .Biggest problem was getting enough heat out of a Mapps Torch .A 16ft heat sink can absorb lotsa heat. There write up said on larger boats ,might have to use a OX/Act with a small rosebud tip.I got a rosebud orderd off EBAY will be here tueday.Clean area well sand,file wire brush right before you put heat on it and tin it like they say then complete weld/braze....cva34

got any picts? i have some repairs i need to make. im torn between giving these a try or the marine epoxy.

dkonrai said:
cva34 said:

got any picts? i have some repairs i need to make. im torn between giving these a try or the marine epoxy.

Never done Pic Would not know where to start.I went the Epoxy route and it worked for years .But I noticed the epoxy /jbweld/5200 patches were begening to peel on edges.But I never got to a leak.Just decided to fix it better.So removed all the patches and was going to take to a welder .Thought about hts 2000 got some practiced some and tried like I said looks good so far.I had a welder est. 500.00.I think I can do it for about 100.00.So I will give it a shot and save 400.00 and learn something in process...cva34

On rivets that are leaking just rebuck or replace them. On leaking seams, try rebucking the rivets and use 3M 5200 and/or gluvit, don't heat it up or that will destroy the seal that's in there.
The crack on the transom, try to hammer it so it closes up a little more, then weld or solder it.
The support bracket on the transom, just use rivets or stainless steel screws along with some 3M 5200.

krawler said:
On rivets that are leaking just rebuck or replace them. On leaking seams, try rebucking the rivets and use 3M 5200 and/or gluvit, don't heat it up or that will destroy the seal that's in there.
The crack on the transom, try to hammer it so it closes up a little more, then weld or solder it.
The support bracket on the transom, just use rivets or stainless steel screws along with some 3M 5200.

i as think of using the hts rods for the failed/cracked portions of bad rivets on the bottom of the boat. as for the transom i think i am going to use some "C" channel? and go over the transom. i have debated over how to repair the bottom of the boat where there is some stress cracking.

cva34 said:

Forgot to mention My boat is welded ,not rivited cva34

welded or riveted, it really doesnt matter when your trying to repair cracks in the hull. im going to give it a go. im a plumber so im used to soldiering things. it doesnt look much different than lead soldiering rain gutters.
i got the half pound shipped for 15.00 delivered!
wish me luck
dino

i got the rods, with a little practice it seems to flow pretty well. i will post some picts tomorrow. been a little busy at work. i also have three evinrudes that i am trying to get running.
hard to work on the boat, and the motors. motors are the first priority as when they are sold it helps with the building capitol :)
motors are a 88 6hp long shaft that i got running. it took a new throttle cam, carb kit, float, plugs, cleaned and replaced the fuel system, new fuel pump.
here it is finally running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVZ6DgIMiA

then there is this 87 4hp short shaft. i need to do some fine tuning. will need points, condenser, carb kit, water impeller, and fuel pump.

then there is this 74 johnson 15hp, that needs the same as the 4hp, plus i need to get two coils.

also i the stable is my 88 15hp evinrude. this runs pretty well but i still need to tweak it a bit. hard to start when cold. i need to check the carb again,

dino

here are some picts
before
P1040580_small.jpg

after
P1040581_small.jpg

before
P1040582_small.jpg

after
P1040583_small.jpg

seems ok? we shall see. i figure i would sand down the patch a little. then use some coat it on the seams and rivets, then maybe a royal blue paint job.

dino

Latest posts