trolling motor suggestions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I am looking at geting a transom mounted trolling motor for my 14ft v what size should i get? one more question I have is what kind of steering is better the foot peddle or with your hand? thanks for all of your help im a first time boat owner.

The bigger the better I would go with a front mounted foot controlled unit and that way when you save enough money for a outboard then the trolling motor is already for you. If you get a big enough one you can move the boat in a strong wind or a current. i know you said a transome mount but I was thinking ahead.

If you want a tranome mount then get a hand conrolled unit over foot controlled. One more thing is look on craigslist in your area for a good used one and save some money.

i have a 30 lb. stern mount with a pro controll foot steer on my 14.5 v hull.i love it. its great to have a foot steer,it keeps your hands free to change flies or gear if its a little windy.i use mine strictly for trolling,its not the best for primary power. any stern mount is a pain if its windy,no matter what the size is.i use my gas motor if the wind gets up.

wilkins26 said:
I am looking at geting a transom mounted trolling motor for my 14ft v what size should i get? one more question I have is what kind of steering is better the foot peddle or with your hand? thanks for all of your help im a first time boat owner.

I went with a 55lb Minn Kota Endua for my 14' and I love it. More than enough. I cut through a good breeze on number 3 and at times 4 just to try it out. 5 wasnt even needed. And that was with 2 adults. Cant go wrong with overkill.

It depends on what type of fishing you do.

1. Just going from the ramp to a spot to bait fish in a small electric only lake.
A 30 lbs transom mount with a group 24 battery.
2. Bass fishing and/or moving around a lot in a small electric only lake.
A 30 to 55 lbs transom and/or bow mounted with a group 29 battery.
3. Bass fishing, moving around, traveling long distance, trolling for long periods, fishing in a windy area. A 45 to 55 lbs bow mounted with either a foot controller or something like an ipilot with 2 group 29 or bigger batteries.

Trying to troll and fish with a transom mounted trolling motor can be a handful, especially when its windy. It requires constant steering. A bow mounted motor will pull you around instead of pushing and requires less attention. A foot control will free up your hands and allows more time fishing or tinkering with stuff.

A Minn Kota with ipilot is the Cadillac of trolling motors. It allows you to walk around the boat and fish without having to constantly steer. But some people prefer a foot controller over a remote control.

All good advise and ideas - I say the biggest you can afford and also remember good batteries make a lot of difference and they can add up quick so keep that in your budget also. :beer:

trailering with a bow mount takes some getting used to. transom mount is much easier to load unload the boat. walmart sells like 40 or 46 lb endura that will have more than enough power for ya for i think 150 or 200 or search craigslist

Latest posts