1967 Wards Sea King 12 ft. Aluminum V-Bottom - drain plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello my fellow tin-boaters! I'm new to this website, forum and boats in general, so, please bare with me. I was recently given a 1967 Wards Sea King 12 ft. aluminum v-bottom boat along with a Shoreline trailer and "The Fisherman" by Minn Kota 37 lb. thrust trolling motor.Turns out it's my first boat :D I'm in the process of fixing some of the essentials so I can at least get her out on the water to do what I love to do which is fish. I have plans on modifying it slowly but surely. One immediate question that I have, among the probably hundreds I will ask on this forum #-o , is in regards to the drain plug. The drain plug hole is located near the bottom of the transom. It looks as though the previous owner may have modified/installed a custom drain plug fitting in the transom. The opening of the drain plug hole on the outside of the transom and on the inside of the transom protrudes out of and into the boat, respectively, about 1/2 inch. In other words, it is not flush with the inside or outside of the transom. On the inside of the transom where the drain plug hole protrudes into the boat about 1/2 inch, 3/16 inch is threaded ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRANSOM HOLE, presumably, where a drain plug would screw on. The problem I'm having is locating the correct drain plug that will thread on. I did try using unthreaded plugs to plug the hold. They were 3/4 inch (too small even when expanded all the way) and 7/8 inch (too big) Moeller Snap-Tite drain plug but clearly they weren't the correct size/type and there was nothing in between a 3/4 and 7/8 inch.

First, does anyone know where I can get a proper drain plug with the correct diameter and thread count that will thread onto the fitting of the drain plug hole? Second, can I use cork as a drain plug for now? It is cork from a homebrew store. It seems like it may work just fine. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures for reference:

Bryan

Attachments

• untitled event - 1.jpg
    untitled event - 1.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 2,181
  • untitled event - 3.jpg
    untitled event - 3.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 2,181
Try the 3/4" one again but turn the handle until it's snug before snapping it down. If that doesn't work, you should be able to find test plugs that will fit with a T handle that you turn to tighten. Try a plumbing supply shop or maybe a pool store. If not, industrial suppliers like McMaster/Carr or Graingers will have them. I just looked in Mcmaster/Carr and they have a snap type in 13/16" for about $5 and change(my catalog is a few years old so the pricing probably changed a bit) so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Great minds think alike :wink:. At least that's the old cliche. When I got the 3/4 inch plug that's exactly what I did, got it nice and tight before clamping it down. However, by the time I got it tight enough for the plug to serve it's purpose it was way too tight to clamp down. In fact, I bent the handle clamping it down and ended up ruining it #-o . I did check out the McMaster/Carr website. I found the Quick-Snap Low-Pressure Test Plugs but those were listed at around $27! Are these the plugs you are referring to?

the plug I was looking at was #2598K28, 302SS plate with brass lever. It is just over $5 in the catalog I have. An all stainless one would be #9191T38 and that one is just over $10.

It doesn't take much to form the seal, if you bent the lever it was definitely cranked down too much(either the drain hole or the compressed neoprene caused it to bend). Were you able to wiggle the plug in the hole before snapping it over? If so then the 3/4" one was fully compressed and the 13/16" should do the trick. If it was too tight to move when the lever was out then the 3/4" would work, just don't tighten it up so much the next time. I hope this makes sense.

I just checked the website and they are $5.78 and $10.37 respectively. I probably should have done that first but usually I can find stuff quicker in the catalog(we use it almost daily at work).

Right on! That's the plug I was looking at. I mistakenly looked at the price of #2598K35 which is directly next to #2598K28 :oops:. I've tried the 3/4" and 7/8" and neither did the trick. One was slightly too big and the other was slightly too small. I'm certain that the 13/16" is the only one that will work. I'll check out a local plumbing supply store tomorrow. Hopefully, they will have it in stock. Otherwise, I'll order it from McMaster-Carr. Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Bryan

Latest posts