Questions about the modified V jon boats..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drider

Reaction score
Hey all, my only experience on boats is my 70's 12' Gregor all welded V boat. It's a great boat does the job takes me out on the water. Floats, zero leaks built like a Gregor! My question is I'm in the market for another vessel. I have in mind either a bigger Gregor boat or a jon boat with the modified V hull. I want to ask you all how are the Jon boats with the modified V hulls? Can you even compare a V hull boat like my Gregor to a mod V jon boat? What are the handling characteristics on a mod V jon boat in comparison to a good old Gregor V hull? The reason I ask is, I don't want to buy a mod V jon boat and be like this thing can't handle moderate wake on bigger lakes for example. So let me know guys, what are some good things about mod V jon boats, and bad things. This is coming from a gregor boat owner.

jigngrub said:
What's a gregor boat? I've never heard of one.
Gregor is a California manufacturer of aluminum boats, largely unknown outside of the western states. They build welded commercial and recreational boats which have a reputation for being very rugged and good in rough water. You can check out their rather primitive web site at https://www.gregorbnoats.com. IMHO thy are one of the two best light aluminum hulls widely available on the left coast; the other is Klamath. I have a 12 footer and am very happy with it. As to a comparison with mod v, I have only been in two of the latter. I found both to be more stable than the v hull when stopped, at slow speed, or in calmer water. They are also roomier. But I frequently fish in fairly strong river currents or on lakes of 2000 acres or more where the wind can become an a issue. So I so have stayed with the v...just my preference.

Thanks for the reply rickybobbybend, I know you oregon folks love Gregor boats, I was driving down the coast and everyone either towing had a Gregor or Klamath or an all out bigger aluminum boat.

My experience with a mod v is that in windy conditions with mod waves you are probably going to get wet. The wind will blow the side spray back at you sometimes. I have one and my son has one, both similar boats. Mine is worse than his. In rough water they can be rough to ride in. V is the way to go in rough water.

ten four on just finding a bigger Gregor, that is what I'm probably going to look for. I just thought about a mod V jon boat since the floor lay out just so much room! But I think the Gregor with a open bench easier to walk through version, will be on my cross hairs on craigslist.

ckr74 said:
My experience with a mod v is that in windy conditions with mod waves you are probably going to get wet. The wind will blow the side spray back at you sometimes. I have one and my son has one, both similar boats. Mine is worse than his. In rough water they can be rough to ride in. V is the way to go in rough water.

agreed. wet, you will be

My thinking on small V's tin boats versus mod V jons is a little different. If I'm in water whipped up to the point where I'm getting wet, I need a bigger friggn' boat. I understand peoples attraction to the small V's but I'm taking the big boat if I'm on open water. When I'm on small waters and taking out the tin boat, the front deck interior space restriction by the same length V hull geometry just never appealed to me in small boats where space is such a premium. The offset in ability to handle slightly bigger water with small V's is not enough for me to take one out and bounce around all day. Just my 2 cents...

Latest posts