Finally got my jetboat insured!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
Since my jetboat is a one-off, custom boat, and the hull is a 1997 model, the insurance company would not consider insuring it without a survey.

I first tired a local marine surveyor, but I think he deals with yachts and such, he had never dealt with a boat like mine, and when I followed up with him a few weeks later, I got the impression that he didn't want to fool with it.

So, I went through a company in Florida, BUC, and filled out some forms, sent some photos, etc. Their survey placed a value of between $8,100 and $9,300 on my boat. Considering that it's a 15 year old hull, and a 7 year old engine, I think that's a VERY fair price.

I would HIGHLY recommend BUC to anyone needing a custom survey or evaluation done on their boat.

Having gotten the completed survey, I contacted geico again, and sent the info to them. They sent a self-survey back to me, asking further details about the boat, such as type of materials used (all marine grade, no household or automotive materials allowed as per ABYC codes) Which, that was not a problem, everything on my boat is marine grade. I also sent pictures showing details of the wire harness, engine compartment, etc, to show that materials used were in fact marine grade.

As of this morning, their underwriter, Seaworthy Insurance, has agreed to cover the boat, not just for the value from the survey, but actually, for a little more, $11,000, which is excellent news.

And for this coverage, it will cost a grand total of 171 dollars for 1 year. This is definitely a relief for me, mainly when I'm trailering the boat down the road, I always worry about being rear-ended, and the boat being totalled.

Now, having it insured, I can go down the road with it, and not have to be on pins and needles, constantly worrying.

=D> =D> =D>

Latest posts