What type of rivet setting tool would you suggest.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbor Freight sells a very similar tool for about half that price. I have one and have used it a bunch now, it's given me great service.

Dave

I also have the Harbor Freight model....so far, so good.

I bought it, along with a bunch of 1/4" rivets, and re-did the rivets in the floor of my jetboat, changing them out from 3/16" up to the larger 1/4" size.

It's a great tool, as the double-handle design keeps me from blowing out my elbow, wrist and/or shoulder from trying to torque, like I do every time I use a conventional rivet gun (getting older really sucks, especially when joint damage is setting in before age 40)

The one problem with the double handle design is that it prevents being able to work in very tight spaces, that's the only drawback I see with it. But that's a minor price to pay, for added torque, and being able to set bigger rivets. I also like the retainer jar that catches the spent rivet studs as you set them.

For around 20 dollars, it's a great tool. About the same price you'd pay for a rivet gun from Home Depot, and those only set 3/16" rivets.

One other tool I'd also suggest for the same price, a rivet nut kit, with the setting tool. I've never owned one until just recently, but I've already put it to good use, and can't believe I never owned one before, seeing how useful they are!

I agree totally with all of PSG's observations on the HF tool. I use a pneumatic airgun from HF for tight spaces. It's a bit fiddly at times, but has totally saved my wrist/shoulder from paint by doing most of the rivets in the boat for me and to date, I've put in about 500-1000 rivets or better.

Thanks for the responses - now I have to look at my options for getting aluminum welded around the dallas area. From the previous post I am assuming that I want to have any brackets welded to the hull instead of riveting them. I then to think about things for a while before I do them.