Small Motor Transom Fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmean

Reaction score
I am swapping out my 12' Sears V hull's transom.

It's old and rotten. I already cut and treated my pieces. My main questions is... Do most recommend using a silicone or adhesive of some sort for connecting the wood to the boat? I have my bolts and T-nuts already. I wasn't sure if people only sealed around the edges or the wood. Or if they 'Glued' the backsides?

Thanks

I just sealed my transom as best I could and slid it back into place. IMO wood transoms are designed to be sacrificial....hopefully not for many years. Keep in mind that if you ever have to replace again, it might be very difficult if you glue the back of the wood to the aluminum. Unless you make the entire transom out of aluminum I would make sure that you can remove the wood transom in the future. The bolts along with the transom braces should be adequate for keeping the transom board from moving. I am sure others will chime in. Good luck.

Bigwave is correct. I would just rely on the bolts and transom braces for holding the wooden transom in place. Make sure you sealed the wood well and didn't use any pressure treated wood of course. If you don't think the bolts are adequate you can always drill a few more, but what you had to begin with is likely fine.