Wakeboard Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine:

100_0559.JPG

100_0554.JPG

It's held on by one 1/4" ss bolt and wing nut on each brace:

100_0556.JPG

As well as the rear pintle mount, made from a length of 3/4" SS solid round stock, it fits into the rear mount: 100_0555.JPG

Not only that, but a sleeve joint design allows the pole to be broken down into 3 pieces, for easy storage at the end of the season:
100_0557.JPG

Bear in mind this is all stainless, except for the internal sleeves at the joints, those are made from solid aluminum stock, cross drilled for the bolts.

A very simple design, easy to break it down when not in use, and it works great!

I don't wake board but that thing is awesome! The only thing ridiculous about that boat is the price. A 1436 Alumacraft with a 2003 30hp for $8900! That better be the new 1448 w/ new motor, and trailer. Wonder what kind of work they did to the transom to hold that motor... Hoping it was more than just some plyboard. #-o And the tower is bolted into the gunnels.. If that is a 1436LT there isn't much metal to hold onto..

One month from now the transom is bent out, gunnels are tearing like paper, and bobby drowned, But you saved 15k buying a wake jon boat!

Great idea though.. Just poor platform and price.

It'll jump up on plane with 5 passengers, totaling 725 pounds. It is equipped to deep water start a 225 pound wakeboarder with 450 pounds worth of passengers on the boat and has done so every weekend out. We've had 350 pounds worth of riders on the boat while pulling 350 pounds worth of riders on a tube.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This boats rating is high 3's, low 400'lbs with 15hp.

sixgun86 said:
I don't wake board but that thing is awesome! The only thing ridiculous about that boat is the price. A 1436 Alumacraft with a 2003 30hp for $8900!

LOL, dang, that's the value the insurance assessor placed on my 1997 dura craft with a 2005 FXHO engine, and a LOT of accessories and extras that I've added. And my boat is a 16 footer.

That better be the new 1448 w/ new motor, and trailer. Wonder what kind of work they did to the transom to hold that motor... Hoping it was more than just some plyboard. #-o And the tower is bolted into the gunnels.. If that is a 1436LT there isn't much metal to hold onto..

Yep, very true. This is why I have a rear pintle mount on my boat, as well as bolting to the gunwales. The gunwale attachment points act only as cross bracing, instead of bearing the primary load.

One month from now the transom is bent out, gunnels are tearing like paper, and bobby drowned, But you saved 15k buying a wake jon boat!

LOL. Definitely right about the gunwales. I used to work with an 18 foot Alindale fiberglass skiff that had a massive canopy top to keep the sun and rain off...but the added weight on top meant a lot more stress on the gunwales. I can remember running across Winyah Bay, watching the gunwales flex back and forth, wondering if I was going to make it back to the hill.

Great idea though.. Just poor platform and price.

It'll jump up on plane with 5 passengers, totaling 725 pounds. It is equipped to deep water start a 225 pound wakeboarder with 450 pounds worth of passengers on the boat and has done so every weekend out. We've had 350 pounds worth of riders on the boat while pulling 350 pounds worth of riders on a tube.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This boats rating is high 3's, low 400'lbs with 15hp.

Yeah, I'd like to see a 14 foot johnboat loaded with 5 people, or try to snatch a skier up on plane with 450 pounds in the boat, using only a 30 HP engine.

I'm sorry, but I have to call bull$h!+ on that claim.

It's a neat little boat, but I don't think it will perform as described.

I agree with the majority of the above comments.

PSG-1 your boat looks well built and designed for its purpose.

The one I linked looks like its built for show instead of go. I'm not too familiar with the wakeboard towers, but I don't even see a place for a tow line to connect. The pricing is definitely out there, hopefully it includes the trailer and the spare PWC for the when the boat tears itself apart. Definitely designed for looks over function.

Josh in FLA said:
I agree with the majority of the above comments.

PSG-1 your boat looks well built and designed for its purpose.

The one I linked looks like its built for show instead of go. I'm not too familiar with the wakeboard towers, but I don't even see a place for a tow line to connect. The pricing is definitely out there, hopefully it includes the trailer and the spare PWC for the when the boat tears itself apart. Definitely designed for looks over function.

Absolutely. It's easy to put something together and make it look pretty, but unless something is designed with consideration of all the different forces and loads that will be applied in use, it's not a matter of IF it will fail, but WHEN. Just like the Alindale with the attachment points of the canopy being on the gunwales and nowhere else, no deck plates, etc....those gunwales flexed like they were made of rubber. I suspect it would be the same thing with the wakeboarding tower, except, now we're talking about aluminum flexing back and forth. What happens when you bend aluminum a few times? It breaks. Not good.

I've owned 14 foot johnboats, I know what their limit is. I can remember one time, a friend and myself were both working from my 14 Dura Craft, commercial oyster harvesting. We loaded the boat with 22 bushels of oysters, or roughly 1,320 pounds, not to mention the weight of 2 people, a battery, gas tank and engine. Needless to say, the bow was only about an inch or so from the waterline, we had to idle back to the hill, and if we had been passed by just one boat, it could have been really bad news.

I also know that working from that boat by myself, I could load it with about 8 bushels, or roughly 480 pounds plus me...... with that weight and a 25 merc, it would barely plane off. So, again, that's why I gotta call BS on the claims of this wakeboarding boat.

As for my boat.....I would HOPE it would snatch a skier up on plane, considering the engine is a Yamaha MR-1 high output 160 HP, the same engine they use in the 23 foot Yamaha wake boarding boats, except, this one is in a 16 foot johnboat.

Here's a video of the ski pole being put to use, skiing up the ICW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykX4wjzRI4

Latest posts