Boat widths? When is a significant factor for stability?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drider

Reaction score
Hi all, right now I have a 70's Gregor aluminum boat that is roughly 13' long and 60" wide. If I were to updgrade to a longer and wider Gregor boat. How much more length and width will I need to actually make the boat feel more stable? For instance, on the used market right now their are good deals on Gregor boats. For example, their is a Gregor that is my price range but it's only a 1ft longer and roughly 4" wider? Would I feel that extra length and width? Or should I just wait and find that Gregor that is a 1' longer and 12" wider? Further, would I feel a difference in stability with a boat's width of 60" vs.67"? Let me know guys, I'm just not sure to jump on this deal for just an extra 4" of width on the deck and an extra foot of space. Moreover I'm focused on width.

drider said:
Hi all, right now I have a 70's Gregor aluminum boat that is roughly 13' long and 60" wide. If I were to updgrade to a longer and wider Gregor boat. How much more length and width will I need to actually make the boat feel more stable? For instance, on the used market right now their are good deals on Gregor boats. For example, their is a Gregor that is my price range but it's only a 1ft longer and roughly 4" wider? Would I feel that extra length and width? Or should I just wait and find that Gregor that is a 1' longer and 12" wider? Further, would I feel a difference in stability with a boat's width of 60" vs.67"? Let me know guys, I'm just not sure to jump on this deal for just an extra 4" of width on the deck and an extra foot of space. Moreover I'm focused on width.

you will hardly if at all notice a difference in stability imo...... 13ft long and 60in wide seems very wide for a 13 ft boat, that thing has to be pretty stable. how high is your deck? (top of deck to gunwales?????)....

Is the 60" beam or bottom width? My boat is 62" at the beam and 42" on the bottom, it's plenty stable.

Good responses above. The width you cite is at the gunwale (the top of the hull). I have been in a few Gregors and you will not notice any meaningful improvement in stability in the tin you are considering. A 16 would provide noticeable gains in stability and interior room. You might also consider alternative seating configurations if ease of movement is a factor. For example, a split bench can add lots of convenience.

drider -

Since I'm in Los Angeles too and I have two Gregors right now and one of them, a 15 footer with tall 20" transom, is about to go up for sale . . . . sent you a PM.

We could go for a boat ride and answer your question.

To clarify my gunwhale width is 60" not sure what the bottom width is. What your guys input I won't jump the gun anb buy another Gregor with only +3-4 inches of gain in width on the gunwhale, I want something atleast 72" wide gregor boat! xbacksideslider, shoot me back a pm, let me know how much you're asking for. I need something for castaic!

Latest posts