Ready to get dirty.... repair time!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Got my GluvIt..got my MarineTex epoxy putty ...got my rivets and got my 3M 5200....

So here is what my weekend should* consist of... wire brushing the rest of the inside of my boat... especially along the ribs where I need to pop in some new rivets...not worried about the old non skid paint... Ill re-do that anyway.

Wash her down with the TSP I bought a month ago....let dry.

Dip the rivets in some 3M..pop em in..wipe off excess... let cure.

While the rivets are setting, I am hoping to work up the MarineTex putty and patch the holes up towards the bow where the previous owner riveted in the ID tags... got about 40 holes in all... I think they are all 1/8" big...

Hopefully...* with enough cure time for the rivets... starting putting on the GluvIt...

I have one seam right down the center and around and up the transom... the rest I will use to hit the ribs and all of the rivets from the inside...

Again.. this is what I want to happen... the wife and kids may think otherwise...

The only thing I would do different from the plan you have is how you are dealing with the holes. That's a lot of holes, a lot of potential leaks. If I were you, I would do everything I could to find a local aluminum welder and have that many holes welded. Long term, you'll feel more secure and the welds will hold longer than any "patch" type material due to the flexing of the boat in the water.

Just my .02,

I kinda agree with Dave.

I'm money short and dumb labor full, but you'd be surprised how inexpensive (comparatively) a welder can repair those, and how nice it is to have the security of a pro doing it.

Might at least make a few phone calls.

Your way will work, but for under $100, be neat to have it done.

Have fun getting dirty. :)

Latest posts