locking down motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich27028

Reaction score
do you guys lock down you motor - or leave it unlocked so if you drag bottom with the sked the motor can rock up ?

30hp yamaha --

I pretty much thought all outboards were made to be unlocked when in forward gear. Every one I own only locks when in reverse. I would want my motor to tilt when it hits something!

My current motor locks automatically when you shift to reverse and unlocks when you shift to forward. I've operated some that didn't have this function and I would always keep it unlocked in case I hit a log or something. If I need to run the motor in reverse at something more than idle speeds, I just lock it manually and then unlock it when I shift out of reverse.

I leave mine unlocked,although if you hit rock at high speed the skeg will still break.
I've read where it doesn't matter if you lock or not because it should let go,if you hit something hard enough?

Depends on the water you have your boat on. I plan on running mainly on the Susquehanna River here in Pennsylvania and it is a MUST that you don't lock down the motor. Most areas of the Susquehanna near Harrisburg are waist deep (with some areas only being ankle deep right now) and it has tons of ledges/debris/gooners that would take out a lower unit with one hit.

Latest posts