Anchor selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsharptx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1444 Polar Kraft and am wondering what size anchor is sufficient?

I will be anchoring in lakes and rivers. Some rocky bottoms, gravel, and some mud.

What say you tinboats?

its not the weight of the anchor that hold the boat - its the lenght of the rode and style of anchor-

any fluted anchor will hold - if you add a lenght of chain and then your rode - lay out 3 times of rode the depth of water

We anchor alot in a river, in current.
Probablly need at least an 18# river anchor, with chain and good length of rope.
Use the wrong anchors in a river with a jagged bottom, and you'll be leaving them there.

I use a 20# on my 1448 in the river. I like the 20# because I don't have to use as much rope. The "mushroom" or "river" style is what you want. You don't want an anchor that digs or you'll end up leaving it hung up on the bottom sooner or later.

I have a silly question. I'm fairly new to boats. Why do you need extra rope? I usually let the anchor hit bottom then tied it off

Jdkxtreme said:
I have a silly question. I'm fairly new to boats. Why do you need extra rope? I usually let the anchor hit bottom then tied it off
If there is current or wind you won't stay there very long. As the boat rides up and down with the waves the anchor will go with it.

Not a silly question, at all. And actually a matter of safe boating The extra line (and perhaps chain) protect the anchor from dislodging. As Rich notes above, the line and chain connecting the boat to the anchor can have a dramatic effect on how well the anchor holds. And often a bigger effect that just buying a heavier anchor. That isn't to say the anchor weight and shape are irrelevant. This is especially important in current or wind. On rivers with significant current, boaters often use lines that are 7 to ten times the depth of the water when setting anchor lines. Current and wind push the boat. With the line length fixed, current will force the bow will ride lower in the water. Too much current and too little anchor line and the boat can swamp from the bow in an instant. There is also the issue of accurate anchoring if you are concerned about positioning over structure. By moving past your target position, dropping anchor then releasing line you can drift or power back to the desired position. When I do this I also use a stern anchor, but that is another posting. Sorry for the long answer.

Latest posts