Plastic bunk slicks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnriverluver

Reaction score
Hoping I just saved my boat from the treated lumber bunks. After seeing pictures of other peoples boats on here being eaten alive I decided not to wait any longer on doing this to my recent purchase. My boat is leaking pretty bad and haven't really gotten in to looking for the source. Just praying it isn't from the corrosion I have seen pictured here. Sportsmans Guide has these for $20 and they are solid. Time will tell how they hold up I guess.

Attachments

• slicks.jpg
    slicks.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 799
I tried guide slicks TWICE!!!! The first set was stolen by some lowlife while parked in the lot at the ramp. The second set was only half stolen since I guess they heard a boat coming and deserted the attempt. I gave up and replaced the carpeted bunks with composite lumber. Works as well as the slicks, can't rot and can't be stolen. (after I mounted the bunks I "braded" the bolts with 2 large hammers!!! Bring a hacksaw or a grinder and you can have them)

I also thought of using plastic slides, but then realized that the boat weighs so little that it really wasn't needed. I apply either Liquid Rollers or some type of silicon spray to the carpeted bunks.

In fact, I just launched my "new to me" glass ocean boat yesterday which weighs just under 2000 pounds fully equipped and it was a breeze. The carpet on the bunks are in really great shape but I think the reason it was easy to launch and recover is that the trailer sits very low so it floats the boat very easily. The only drawback is that hump in the driveway.

These were not added to ease loading or unloading. Boat slides off easily on carpet being fairly light weight. This was done to separate the hull from the carpet and treated lumber used for the bunks. Do a search here and you will find that new newer treated lumber does not go well with aluminum. Since the bunks are in good shape I did not want to goe through the trouble of replacing them when this will work and is much easier for now.

tnriverluver said:
These were not added to ease loading or unloading. Boat slides off easily on carpet being fairly light weight. This was done to separate the hull from the carpet and treated lumber used for the bunks. Do a search here and you will find that new newer treated lumber does not go well with aluminum. Since the bunks are in good shape I did not want to goe through the trouble of replacing them when this will work and is much easier for now.

Oops, sorry, I missed the treated lumber part.

Latest posts