Will A Saratoga plane off with a new yamaha 15hp 4stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinklespout

Reaction score
I am looking at a Saratoga and a Commander. I have a 2004 Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke. I like the Saratoga better but am worried it won't plane. I'll be in saltwater primarily. Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks a lot.

Kim

all kidding aside - i dont know what a saratoga or a commander is - maybe if you gave us the lenght and weight of the boat we might be able to help ya some .

The lonestar Saratoga was sold. I got the king commander by lonestar. It's 14 feet and 200 lbs so should plane fine.

The Saratoga was a v hull but quite flat the last 3/4 of the hull. It was about 400 lbs as set up now, not much wood inside. Is there an approx weight/length range for a 15 hp? Someone said the Saratoga needs a 35.

I'm going to have fun with this one until more funds become available.

Kim

Load everything to back or center as much as possible. Buy a whales tail or stablizer for your motor. Come out one notch on the motors bracket at a time until you find the right spot. If the motor is all the way against the transom you will not be able to plane easy or never.
One notch out and a whales tail will help tremendous. Maybe two notches out will work, but if you go to far out on the notches, the boat will pop up and down or what we call parposeing.
See whales tail below:

Attachments

• whales tail stablize.jpg
    whales tail stablize.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 575

Latest posts