Center bench removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatdad5

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question and I know the answer probably depends on the boat. I don't have a boat yet but am trying to build it in my head and on paper . I want a 14ft v bottom.. I want to remove the middle bench.. My question is can you run a brace down the side of the boat and attach it to the front and back bench ? And attach it were the middle bench connected to the side? Probably sounds crazy not having a boat asking this but I'm trying to have a clear pic of what I need .. I already have the trailor, tm, 2 fish finders and a onboard charger .. Lol kinda backwards but I pick it up when a good deal comes along. This will be a trolling motor only boat..thanks in advance and if you have a pic with the middle bench removed please post

Yea , just really wanted to know if anyone had done it this way vs tying the side into the floor.

Buy an open deck boat and you won't have to worry.

Not only are you compromising the structural intergrity of your boat when you remove the middle bench, you also remove valuable and much needed floatation foam.

Contact any bench jon boat manufacturer and ask them if it's ok to remove the middle bench on any of their bench boats and see what they say.

Something like this would be a much better option for you:

https://www.alweld.com/value_bass_boat.html

Yes, there are some variables ... and the type of boat does matter.

But, in the vast majority of cases you will be fine to remove the seat. I've done it on many boats and haven't had a single problem. And tons and tons of guys have done the same thing and we've never heard of a single issue with the boat's structural integrity. Its WAY better to have an open floor and more room to walk around.

And since you will only be putting a trolling motor on the back, you won't have any bending or twisting issues.

Also, if you plan to build a flat floor or a casting deck, that will stiffen up the boat even more than the seat did.

Again it depends on the boat, but I highly doubt you'll need any braces or supports like you were describing.

I had a 14' Mirrocraft that had ALL the benches removed and a piece of plywood laid on the bottom of the boat. It had a 9.9 on the back of it for decades and never had a single problem.

I understand some people's concern with messing with the manufacturer's intended design of the boat, but in this case you aren't going to hurt anything or jeopardize your safety. Heck, with most boats, you can remove the seat in such a way that you can reinstall it pretty easily if you do run into issues.

I have to agree with MrSimon. I did a lot of research on bench removal and found “zero” issues related to the removal. All I found was people saying “it will affect the integrity of the boat” however I didn’t find one story of such a thing actually happening. Of course the manufacture is going to say not to do it but do you blame them? One it kind of puts them in a possible liability issue and two why would they want you to change their design when you could buy one of their new boats that is exactly designed the way you want it.
I removed one of the bench seats in my boat and added a deck. When I added the deck bracing it without a doubt added more support than the bench seat ever did.

Good luck on you mod!

Latest posts