Easiest way to fix leaking rivets??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnriverluver

Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered on here a thousand times but. I have a 1990 Alumicraft MV Angler that has had the interior recently completely redone along with a Fresh professionally done camo paint job. I have discovered a few leaking rivets on the bottom (more seep than Leak). I really don't want to tear out the interior to get at these rivets to try rebucking or replacing. Is there a way to replace these like a pop rivet or some chemical treatment from the outside that will stop these leaks at just the individual rivets?

You can replace them with the proper size blind "Closed Head" rivets.

I would use aluminum head and mandrels

Attachments

• Product-20101219519.jpg
    Product-20101219519.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 845
I'll have to google those since I'm not familiar with them. I am starting to think my main issue may be coming from the livewell pump because I am taking on too much water in a short period for it to be from these riviets. Partially filled the boat with water yesterday and they never even really dripped in the hour the boat sat there. Drain 2-3 gallons of water now after fishing for 3 or 4 hours. Not major but would just as soon it stay dry LOL

Ive used this with very good success. You can even use it one the outside.
https://www.basspro.com/Evercoat-Aluminox-Epoxy-Sticks/product/100038/

Cabelas carries boat patch sticks. There plasticy and you melt em on the rivet with a propane torch.
Ive used em and love them.
https://www.cabelas.com/boat-care-appearance-cabelas-aluminum-boat-patch-1.shtml

I'm dealing with the same issue so instead of posting a new thread I'll piggy back on this one. I've read that you need to use a sealant when replacing leaking rivets with closed pop rivets as they don't give a tight seal on their own. Which raises the question of whether you might as well just seal the leaking rivet with gluvit and avoid the hassle of replacing them. Any thoughts on the merits of replacing vs. sealing?

wineyarders said:
I'm dealing with the same issue so instead of posting a new thread I'll piggy back on this one. I've read that you need to use a sealant when replacing leaking rivets with closed pop rivets as they don't give a tight seal on their own. Which raises the question of whether you might as well just seal the leaking rivet with gluvit and avoid the hassle of replacing them. Any thoughts on the merits of replacing vs. sealing?
I think rebucking is the best way whenever possible. In my case and it may be the same in yours that the rivets are not reachable from the inside without gutting a perfectly good interior. In that case I think replacing with the closed end pop rivets and a small amout of 5200 sealant is the easiest and best option. I am going to get around to mine one of these days [-o<

Latest posts