hull ID etching question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hc803

Reaction score
Just got a title on my grandad's old jon boat and SC requires a hull ID number to be placed on the starboard transom and inside the boat.
What would be the best way to go about affixing a number? Dremel tool? Make a badge and rivet it on? Has anyone had to do this before? Pic of the giant (10') vessel attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_18.43.11.jpg
    2012-10-01_18.43.11.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 479
and a mighty fine ship she is - worthy of a proper christing - with a fine bottle of budwiser- :mrgreen:

you could have tags stamped with the numbers and pop rivit them on --

Down here they just issue you a couple of stickers with the new HID on them.

If you can not find anything else, let me know and I can stamp a piece of flat brass stock with the numbers and mail it to you. You can either rivet it on or just smear some 3500 on it and it won't go nowhere any time soon.

I've had to do this too.

I ordered a metal stamp kit from Amazon for less than $20. It comes with a stamp for every letter and number.

I cut a strip of thin aluminum from some scrap, stamped in the number, and used some small stainless screws to hold it on. You might even be able to stamp the number directly into the hull.

Or you could just visit a local pet-supply store. Most have a machine for making pet ID tags (thought there might be a limit n the number of characters that can be stamped). Tell them your "pet" has a really unusual name lol. $8-$10 locally.

Use a steel stamping kit w/letters and numbers and put it directly onto the hull. It's never going to change so no need for it to be removable. It just might keep it from being stolen if it's on the hull....

Latest posts