Final touches to my boat list, please comment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Howdy all,

As my boat's nearing completion, I've got a list with a few things I'm considering doing and would love to hear commentary on. I've never fished this boat, bought it used, so I don't want to do too many mods before I actually try the boat out to see what she's like. Here's my list of thoughts on completing the boat:

1. Build aluminum frame or "tower" to mount a "near future" console located fish finder with the Makita Contractor radio I bought as my "noise on boat mounted underneath the fish finder. I would mount the fish finder on the top on a "swing arm" style ram mount and the radio would basically be strapped in below so I could remove it and use in the garage.

2. Build aluminum frame/tower for casting/trolling motor deck to mount the forward fish finder. I haven't decided which deck to mount the front trolling motor on. I did pick up a "swing arm" style ram mount for the front trolling motor with the plan of using the original bracket that comes with the fish finder as my vertical gymbal while the swing arm will provide horizontal movement.

3. Build two battery storage boxes or mount two battery storage boxes inside the console deck area, just behind the front casting deck in the corners there. This would open the front storage back up under the casting deck to hold fishing tackle trays and "stuff."

Another alternative would be to buy large tackle tray type tackle boxes and place them in the same area on the console deck with a "loop and rubber strap" arrangement. I'd like to hear input on this, but right now I'm going to use the boat and get a feel for what would be better after fishing it some.

4. Thinking on adding a front live well between where I mentioned putting the battery storage boxes. I could make this deep enough, while adding a "step" to make it easier for my wife to come on the front casting deck.

6. Debating on whether to remove some paint and add the grizzly grip in key walking spots in the rear areas I have painted now. Probably going to do this at some point, as it's looking like I'll have extra Grizzly Grip.

7. Thinking on adding grizzly grip to certain sections of the rub rail to increase safety. Another alternative was to sand the rub rail using a coarse grit sandpaper to make it safer to step on getting in/out of the boat.

9. Grizzly Grip on parts of the trailer frame to increase safety while walking on the frame getting the boat on and off the trailer and the usual places people step. Considering making a "walk frame" on the trailer tongue.

10. Mounting the anchor light storage, the Nav light socket up front, the trolling motor w/quick release mount, the fish finder GPS hockey pucks, running associated wiring for all of the above. Best place to put these items on this type of boat with this type of front deck.

11. Installing starting battery group 24 and combo starter/trolling battery group 27 in back storage/fuel area. Starter for starting only with a float charger on it and starter/trolling with a charger/float charger on it to run on board electronics/lights/horn/etc and to serve as a back up for the starting batter. Group 24 starter starboard side and Group 27 port, both in the fuel/battery/bilge area.

12. Install a short rubber cord to keep bilge hatch from bouncing. The plastic fuel tank holds it about 1/16" off the splash pan in back and I'm betting it would rattle going across the lake.

11. Paint the exterior of the boat with a strip similar to the original, but in green, with the required areas for pin strip and letters pre-painted in black, then covered with peel off letters, then spray over with green and so I end up with painted letters and a painted pin stripe. I'm looking at Black for the base coast for letters and pinstripe and the same green I've been using for the over coat. Perhaps an additional pin strip in sand/tan.

Whatcha think?

Just not familar with that boat.So my few answers are very general.As far as non slid it will stick to good paint or bare metal,just scuffed either scotch brite or light sand paper and wiped off with alchol and dry .Battery location and fuel tank can be used to weight front or wherever needed to counterbalance say live well etc ,Just increace battery cable size accordingly..And remember wet cell batterys don't take to too much pounding ,AGM type do OK...cva34

My first recommendation would be to fish out of the boat a few times before you make any mods. This will give you the best idea of what mods would suit your needs the best.

For the grizzly grip DO NOT REMOVE ANY PAINT.

The grizzly grip is great for anywhere, including rails, floor, decking and even consoles and such. Its a terrific protectant and prevents lots of heat from the aluminum.
A great idea is to put some grizzly grip on the trailer frame to walk. I've been so close to end up in the water because not having the traction on the steel tubes of the trailer.

And as side note, you have a very active mind, just like me. A year ago before even having the then-new Lowe 1760, i was thinking all sorts of stuff, making this and that.

I have just put an hour meter for keep tracking of the maintenance of the motor. That's it.

It has grizzly grip over the entire hull. You can sit anywhere even in the hottest day, full sun. the hull feels sturdier and the thing absorbs lots of noise.

that{s why those grizzly grip is great.

sharpix,

Thank you for posting that information, makes a lot of decisions relating to the Grizzly Grip much, much easier.

Dave

RivRunR said:
Here's a stick-on alternative that might work for some of your spots:

Anti Slip Tape

I went with the JVCC Sure Step Anti-slip Cleat.

You are Johnny on the spot with good useful products again, thank you.

I'm also considering building some sort of ladder or rack to help me get into the boat as I'm putting in the water. Anybody got any ideas?

Latest posts