Used Boat Prices = CRAZY

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
So I've started to look around to pickup an all welded boat. Not so concerned about the age as I am the over all condition.
My needs are fairly simple. Something from a 16 x 52 up to a 18 x 60 would work. Planning to take my time and make a flats boat for use in N. Florida. Really need welded since there are far to many nasty areas with rocks and oyster beds etc. But, that's where the Redfish and Trout area and so be it. So I've started to look around at G3's - SeaArks - Alumacraft and the like.

I've seen a few that would work. The thing is, the sellers are asking ASTRONOMICAL prices! I'll look at a boat and then go to the nada site and get a value. In many cases folks are asking close to DOUBLE the nada retail value. I've got a subscription to bucvalue which is what I used when I bought my 09 G3 1966 and it was a BIG help. Still have that boat and it's great. Just nothing I'm going to run around oyster beds with.

Anywho, I know when I look at a used car or truck there's no way in hell I'd pay anything over book on it no matter how nice is it for the most part. I figure when I go to sell it down the road, a prospective buyer will do the same and point out the value of the boat.
So with that being said, how about some input. Would you pay well OVER or say almost twice what the listed value is for a used tin?

I'm compiling a list of boats I have found. I figure at this time of year most sellers won't have an easy go of it. Then come about a week before Christmas I'll start calling around and if they really want to sell, I'll have more luck.

So what cha think ?

I'd say make them an offer if its something ya like. Might get lucky and one of them will come way down

Badbagger said:
So what cha think ?

I think that you are going to pay for an all welded 1652. Around here, those boats don't pop up for sale very often, and when they do they are pricey. I also think that NADA undervalues, my pristine 1998 Evinrude 8 HP lists at $80 in NADA!

Thanks. So far most of these boats are several hours away which is fine. The mere mention of offering somewhere close to book value and instantly offended sellers lol. If I had one fairly close by, I'd go with a Walmart bag full of $100 bills.

if you going with a Walmart bag full of 100s, I got a 1648 I'll sell ya. Just make sure your "full" is the same as mine. Haha kidding

Some can be crazy!
Just for the heck of it, I looked at CL for Florida. There seems to be some reasonable buys on there.
Have patience!

The further away from the ocean the less expense those boats are gonna be - look outside your area

Also:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/3332459269.html

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/3297463541.html

Cash in hand is good advice.

My last two boats (which I still have) were purchased with cash in hand but the best part was that both were boats sitting around for 12 and 20 years collecting dust and I got them for dirt cheap (rim shot :D ). They are both now sea worthy!

Captain Ahab said:
The further away from the ocean the less expense those boats are gonna be - look outside your area

Thanks, I'm up in the Panhandle of FL. Pretty much looking within a 400 mile radius.
We're going into the off season and with the holidays on the horizon, I'll find something.
When I found my G3 I have now, it took me 6 months of searching on CL and literally found
it in a barn in NW GA. It was covered up by an old pontoon boat cover that was covered in
red clay. Boat had 10 hours on it and owner had receipts of $22k. I paid $14k for it
all in $100 bills in a Walmart bag :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 700
From what I've seen, NADA means nothing. It's a "guide"...not the "bible" of pricing by any means. Locality plays a HUGE role in boat pricing; but IMO more importantly, the market sets the price. IOW, It's worth what people will pay. I absolutely despise the fact that people will use NADA or Kelley "bluebook" during a sale. I usually know right away that they aren't going to budge much on price and I won't put much effort into the purchase. There are other rigs out there; and depending on where you're at, LOTS of them. Guys like that, I'll leave them my card and walk away. If they want to sell it and are willing to negotiate a little more, they will call.

Welded boats go for big money up here. But we are the duck hunting capital of the USA and the duck hunters will pay just about anything (new prices) for a used up welded boat. Especially 15' and with 25 HP motors since the local public hunting areas are 25 hp max. But that same boat might only go for $2500 in another area where demand for such a rig is much lower.

Case in point-I bought a 2012 War Eagle 1548, put my 2000 model F25 Yamaha on it and a 50 lb trolling motor. I have about $4500 in it, everything included. That same boat (exactly the same for the most part) is all over craigslist locally for $6500 and up. And apparently they sell because when I have to work on them at work, the owners saying how good of a deal they got at that price. I've had people stop me at the ramp, in the river/lake, and at gas stations trying to buy it from me; all of 'em saying that it would be an awesome duck boat.

I used to be partners with my mother and father in a used car dealership, NADA is for retailers to show you how they justify there asking price. Most will look up your trade in on NADA and show there selling price to you from Kelly Blue book as there retail price is usually higher. Imo best way to value your boat is to cross it with craigslist in your area, but you got to cross it with people who say it sold already, not the ones that been for sale for 3 months.

I cannot stress this enough - please add your location to your profile here on TinBoats

Where is the duck hunting capitol of the world?

Louisiana?

Texas?

Arkansas?

Cuba?

Latest posts