Livewell Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Have my livewell project detailed on my boat build thread, but thought a separate thread may help those searching for ideas.

Bought the 1648 Alumacraft Semi V Jon pretty bare bones.
I wanted a livewell that could double for bait storage as well as keeping many fish alive.
By maximizing space in the boat, I could get what I wanted by keeping clutter to a minimum. Utilizing the bench seat in the middle of the boat, I could accomplish my goals.
I did some research on the web including youtube and expanded on the ideas to suit my needs. I knew I didn't want a cooler style livewell. I wanted something that looked like a part of the boat, didn't take up any extra room to trip over, and also increased the resale value in the event I ever decide to sell the boat.
Next step was to design it and a cardboard mockup seemed like the best idea. Took an hour of my time, a pair of scissors and some glue...this avoided any miscommunication with my fabricator.
[youtube]Jn_ZGIiWFLM[/youtube]

After the mockup, I took it to the fabricator and he started to get to work.
First step was cutting out the seat for the livewell to set in and taking measurements.

Next was fabricating the livewell based on the mockup.

With the fabrication complete and installed, made a video of how it turned out:
[youtube]3iBrvx2QQvE[/youtube]

Operation with fill pump and aerator both on timer module switch and the Bait Tamer idea for bait storage
[youtube]VomZzhAFChQ[/youtube]
Rig Rite Timer module turns aerator on for 50 seconds and off for 3 minutes : https://www.iboats.com/Rig-Rite-OEM-Timer-Module/dm/cart_id.833967130--session_id.803868247--view_id.47410

What I would have done different: I probably would not have had a drain installed. Instead I would have just used the aerator pump with a diverter valve to pump the water out of the tank and out the upper side of the boat. The drain on the bottom of the boat did not turn out right due to the slope of the hull...plus there is always water in the bottom of the tank because of it being below the water line
so using it for dry storage on occasion is not really an option.
Anyway, if you have questions, just ask.....just an FYI...this wasn't cheap, but I'd do it again in a minute.

If you don't mind, from start to finish, what was the total cost of the livewell?

Latest posts