Downrigger Mounts Installed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
Just a couple of shots of the downrigger mounts I installed using Traxtech T-bolt Brackets and a track system.
Had to cut out a gap in the boat's gunnel track to slide them in, but that was nbd.
In the pics the tracks aren't sitting quite level, but I fixed that later with a piece of starboard underneath.

DwnRig1.JPG
DwnRig2.JPG

Looks like a good setup.
Now I have another option if I want to put downriggers on.
Love those TRAC systems! I made good use of it in a GRIZZLEY.

Nice setup. What are you fishing for that you use downriggers? I have a couple old cannon riggers but don't fish Lake Michigan anymore so I don't have them on my 16 ft boat.
Tim

earl60446 said:
Nice setup. What are you fishing for that you use downriggers? I have a couple old cannon riggers but don't fish Lake Michigan anymore so I don't have them on my 16 ft boat.
Tim
Walleye mostly, lake trout in the mid/late spring. Haven't had a lot of success, I'm just learning the trolling game.

Have you used your downriggers yet. If so do they have any movement up and down out by the tip if the mast. I used to fish lake Mich all the time and I have seen a couple that got ripped out of the boat from the movement up and down. With the ty[e of mounting you have it looks like it would put a lot of strain on the side of the boat if you got into 2 or 3 foot waves. It is a good looking set up you have and looks like you did a good job of installing. I don't mean to knock your system but just wanted to make you aware of what could happen. Ivan

sawmill said:
Have you used your downriggers yet. If so do they have any movement up and down out by the tip if the mast. I used to fish lake Mich all the time and I have seen a couple that got ripped out of the boat from the movement up and down. With the ty[e of mounting you have it looks like it would put a lot of strain on the side of the boat if you got into 2 or 3 foot waves. It is a good looking set up you have and looks like you did a good job of installing. I don't mean to knock your system but just wanted to make you aware of what could happen. Ivan
Yeah, I tried them out right after the install. Very little movement on the mast tip, and the gunnel tracks are much more sturdy than they look.

I only fish relatively small TVA-type lakes, and I wouldn't fish the riggers (or the boat !) out in 2-3 footers. My only concern about the riggers getting ripped from the boat would be if I were to snag a tree or something with a ball, but I always triple check that my down rigger "drag" is set pretty loose. I also run a lanyard around the riggers connected to the boat just in case.

Thanks for the heads up tho'.

Latest posts