Adding a console to a tinny: Side or Center

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
I'm looking around for a deal on a tinny to convert into a flats boat to run the oyster beds with. In looking, there are far more boats out there without any console in them. That being said, if I buy one without a console and wanted to add one, how hard is it?

Thanks

Hi Badgger. Small world. I'm right down the road in Tallahassee. While you can certainly add a console, I'm not sure you want/need to. See the other thread in the forum today regarding tiller vs. console for my reasons. Not only do they take up valuable space in a small boat, but they can get a little pricey, even if you get all used components. I run a 14' semi-V tinny with a DIY 1-1/4" thin-walled PVC tiller extender, PVC grab bar and PVC gear shift selector and it's great. I can sit, stand, shift my weight as needed, they don't take up any space and cost less than $5 for both. If you really want a console, you can make it out of just about anything; fiberglass, sealed plywood, a guy here in the forums even made one out of an old aluminum truck tool box.

Here's a few pics of rig. Including one at Wakulla Beach.

Attachments

• 0915121750-01.jpg
    0915121750-01.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 0915121752-00.jpg
    0915121752-00.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 0916121200-01.jpg
    0916121200-01.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • Beach Shot 3.jpg
    Beach Shot 3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,387
Thanks for the input. I just want to use this one to fish those nasty areas around St Marks where I don't dare take my G3.

If you just wan to run around St. Marks and stuff. Save your money and buy a piece of PVC and make a tiller extender. I would also suggest a grab bar, or something to hold onto when you stand while running. You'll be amazed how much better/more you can see once you can stand and move forward a bit. Be sure you wear a lanyard kill switch too.

i wanted a CC tin, until i tried bass fishing from one..... they are great for salt fishing, but i like the SC as its off to one side and you arent always walking around it. plus you have a steering wheel and a console to mount things to. my only complaint is i wish my console was about 2' further forward. i also like having the tilt/trim option at the touch of a button. i am also not turned sideways controlling a tiller. if i have to make a long run. and like a CC i can still stand up if i am in the shallows and be able to see over the bow. its comfortable either way and i have the option to sit.

I agree with the other fellas. Don't put a console in a smaller boat unless you have an age or health related issue requiring you to have one. Adds cost and takes up valuable real estate. If you have a larger tin and need it, then try out a couple similar boats that have what you want to put in yours before you do the mods. That way, if you find you like one or the other or don't like either setup, you aren't out any money.

I am also with the other guys. Don't do a console unless you need to.

this is what I did on my 16 footer, the pictures you are interested in are on page 2:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19949

The setup is awesome.

Go Fish said:
I am also with the other guys. Don't do a console unless you need to.

this is what I did on my 16 footer, the pictures you are interested in are on page 2:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19949

The setup is awesome.

Thanks for all of the replies and looks great go fish!

Working through these options myself. The boat started as a full windshield and has been completely striped. I've converted the motor to a tiller but am considering going with a center console. My biggest issue has been finding a console to use. Used doesn't seem to be an option and I really don't want to build on.

As stated above the console does provide for some protection from wind and rain and still allows for freedom of movement. A tiller to me is much more manuverable and you can be seated.

I'm thinking going to the best of both world. The tiller gives you more control and the console gives you the space to mount electronics and to an extent provides protection. With a tiller, it's a wise move to have a grab bar so I'm thinking to add a console to mount the electronics to and also to mount the grab bar to. The benefits of both worlds without the cost of a typical center console steering setup. Just need to be sure you've got the width and room in the end. Lots of companies that make consoles. I've got a Garmin GPSMAP 720 presently and will be adding a Lowrance HDS unit for Side Scan. I'd mount both on the console.

yeah, that's sort of what I ended up doing too. the tiller + grab bar combo is hard to beat as it pretty much gives you the best of all worlds. Here's a great pic of what you've described on a Gheenoe. It's made out of aluminum tubing, which can then be left raw, painted or powder coated.

Attachments

• gheenoe grab bar.jpg
    gheenoe grab bar.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,186