Choosing a motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhyland

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted this in the Motor section but I think it's better suited to this forum.

I have a 14' Sears Gamefisher V-Hull. I mostly use it in small local lakes and ponds. For 99% of the places I fish the trolling motor is perfect. I had a Honda 9.9 from a RIB I own and put that on the boat but it seems heavy and really more that I need. All the places I go have a small HP limit or are No Wake zones.

The 9.9 has always be more trouble that it's worth. I've spent more money than it cost trying to keep it running over the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of a 5HP with and integrated tank.... The Merc looks good, but I have also owned Yamaha and throught they were excellent motors.

Anyone have thoughts on the downsizing, and good motors in the 5 to 6hp range with integrated tank?

Thanks,
Christinboat.jpg

I have a 36lb thrust trolling motor...in most cases it works fine. And like you say quiet.. so I would say I use that about 95% of the time. But I would like an outboartd with the power to push the boat against a current so if I go down the ocean I can hit the tidal waters.

Regards,
Chris

Nice boat you have there, looks deep. IMO, I'd go with a 2 stroke 9.9 (Johnson/Evinrude, Nissan, etc). You'd be saving considerable weight over the honda, they troll down quite nice, plus they're quiet and would have a little juice in case you hit the tidal waters. As others have said, go with a 2 cylinder motor to reduce vibration.

Have to go used. Good news is that these are extremely reliable motors (Johnson/Evinrude), easy to work on, and will most likely hold it's value while you own it. I have a 1998 8 HP Evinrude, weighs in at 57 lbs, burns very little gas, easy to work on and maintain, and can get my 1448 w/ just me to run around 17 MPH (drops off considerably when passengers are added). I like to troll, especially when my 2 y/o tags along, and the 8 HP is perfect. I've been in boats w/ 4 strokes (granted they were 20HP) and it seemed even at idle they clip along pretty good, too fast to troll.

cmhyland said:
My 9.9 in gear idling goes way to fast to troll...

Exactly what I'm talking about. It seems w/ the 9.9 2 stroke you get the best of both worlds, power and weight. I know you were initially asking about small 4 strokes, but thought I'd at least bring a few options forward. I'll sign off now and let others chime in, good luck w/ whatever you choose.

Seems the lakes you fish or frequent are no wake lakes or hp restricted.
You didn't say the hp limit but if your not aloud a wake,then going to a smaller motor with a intergrated tank might be perfect for you.
You already mentioned the 5/6 hp and that could be just about right,any smaller and a boat that size might be difficult to control if the weather picks up.
I'm not sure how big the tanks are,on them small outboards but if your only going 1/4 throttle I can't see them using much fuel.
It's a shame that Honda has been a pain,I've always heard good things about them...anyways good luck.

Thanks Zum,
The Honda has been a problem since ethanol was introduced to the gas. I have replaced carbs ans literally spent well over 1K keeping it running and in the end I just can't trust that it will run when needed. When it runs it's smooth and quiet... you just never know when it will decide to run.... And it my run you 2 miles out into the lake and crap out.... better have a good charge on the trolling motor battery...

Regards,
Chris

That would stink.
Another thing that stinks,is being able to be 2 miles out and have hp restrictions...

I have a 2 stroke merc 5 hp that has internal or external tank. Runs all day on a gallon of fuel, starts first pull, exhaust's through the prop so it's really quiet. It idles so slow you can leave it in gear at the dock and still hang on the dock. I use it on an 15' foot inflatable most of the time but intend to use it on my 14' flat bottom this next season when my 15 is to much motor for where I'm going.

2 stroke johnson or yamaha 7-8 for sure. My 2010 8hp yammy idles perfectly for trolling but is also a lot lighter than the 9.9 and can really fly if it needs to. I also have an older 7.5 johnson that goes like stink on a 12' Nalco. I'd never buy a 9.9 again after what I've seen from the newer 8hp motors. Easily 15lb lighter on average and no noticeable loss of power while giving better fuel mileage. The 5 or 6 hp 4 strokes may give slightly better fuel efficiency but I wouldn't want to try and buck a strong headwind or waves in a 14' boat with one.

cmhyland said:
Ictalurus,

My 9.9 in gear idling goes way to fast to troll...

Drag a bucket or two. Seriously - it works! :lol:

My 7.5 (really an 8) has been nothing but great to me, but I still wish it was a 9.9 or 15. With all the gear, my new half deck and me the GPS has me at 14.3 on flat water, and less on chop. Two people and I can't make plane, but I usually fish by myself as two people in a 12'er is pushing it when casting. I can troll down to 1mph if I want without a sock.

Super light weight for it's size too. If you're buying new, the Merc 6hp is the lightest of the single pistol 4 strokes, and if you want to save some money the Tohatsu is the same motor minus the Merc sticker and price tag. I know a lot of guys picking them up for kicker motors, without having to jump to the Pro Kicker.

There's never such a thing as "too much power" when you really need it.

mtydg said:
I have a 2 stroke merc 5 hp that has internal or external tank. Runs all day on a gallon of fuel, starts first pull, exhaust's through the prop so it's really quiet. It idles so slow you can leave it in gear at the dock and still hang on the dock. I use it on an 15' foot inflatable most of the time but intend to use it on my 14' flat bottom this next season when my 15 is to much motor for where I'm going.

Sounds like a motor like this would be PERFECT for the OP.

I was out yesterday and stopped at two places. The Merc 6hp 4 stoke with integrated tank is $1739.00 The Yamaha is $1550.00. I will look around on Ebay as well.

Regards,
Chris

Latest posts