Power loading?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmox

Reaction score
Just a little thing i noticed while at the lake this summer. Every time i was at the boat launch loading my bass tracker i was the only one that i ever saw power loading. I watched a countless number of people get wet and take upwards of 30 minutes trying to get their boat on the trailer. It must be just me but i grew up putting a 20ft willie jet boat onto the trailer in swift current so i haven't really known any other way than power loading. But what really blew me away was how everyone reacted when i put my boat on the trailer. i load it on the trailer and tighten up the bow winch and pull out of the water. It only takes a minute at the most so i can hurry up and get out of other peoples way. Am i the weird one?

Nope i have been power loading for years from a jon boat to a 22 Bass Boat. I think some people buy a boat and have never owned one or been around them. The boat dealers around me tell this all the time, they also say that there should some kind of class to own any water craft from a conoe to a cabin cruiser. People just do not know how to drive boats..............

I power load all the time. Nothing aggravates me more than some moron at the ramp that barely backs the trailer wheels in, and they tie the ramp up for 1/2 hour, winching, huffing, and puffing. I just want to go over and smack them, and say "gimme that **** thing, let me show you how it's done one time!"

Sometimes, I have to power load, AND winch, like, when I have a load of oysters in the boat, and I'm trying to get it on the trailer. Power loading won't get it, and neither will winching, but a combination of both works great.

I think the reason why some people don't like it is
1) never done it before
2) some think it causes erosion on the bottom of the lake/river, but if you trim the engine properly is causes no problem and is actually alot easier.

I have always power loaded my boat once i got comfortable driving the boat. Its a lot quicker and like y'all said nothing drives me crazier than a person holding up the boat ramp, especially at a tournament.

Not power loading is the exception here in Texas. About the only ones that don't power load is someone like me with a little jon boat. If the wind is not too heavy, I push the boat off and pull it back up on the ramp with the rope. Then coming back in, I position the trailer, push the boat out into the lake and pull it onto the trailer. It is faster than having to go get the trailer and then get into the boat to power load. On windy days, it is easier and safer to power load, even with my little boat.

I'm a power loader also and suffer the same as everyone else that has waited 30 minutes on someone that doesn't know how to load their boat. What bothers me worse though is waiting in line for my turn to launch behind some fool that hasn't learned how to back a trailer up. I think these people figure they own a boat/trailer and everyone else has to suffer through them learning how to back a trailer up. I sat in disbelief one dark morning before sunrise as several fellow duck hunters and I waited our turn to launch. Some guy at the head of the line would back up, jack-knife, pull forward, rinse and repeat. Finally after many agonizing minutes of watching this, everyone laid on their horns. Two of the passengers inside the truck got out and each time the driver would start to jack-knife, they would lift/jerk/slide the trailer over until it was straight again. Then he would back a little farther down the ramp until he jack-knifed again. Needless to say we were not in our blind before daylight that morning but thankfully, to my knowledge, that guy never returned to hunt that area again.

JMichael said:
I'm a power loader also and suffer the same as everyone else that has waited 30 minutes on someone that doesn't know how to load their boat. What bothers me worse though is waiting in line for my turn to launch behind some fool that hasn't learned how to back a trailer up. I think these people figure they own a boat/trailer and everyone else has to suffer through them learning how to back a trailer up. I sat in disbelief one dark morning before sunrise as several fellow duck hunters and I waited our turn to launch. Some guy at the head of the line would back up, jack-knife, pull forward, rinse and repeat. Finally after many agonizing minutes of watching this, everyone laid on their horns. Two of the passengers inside the truck got out and each time the driver would start to jack-knife, they would lift/jerk/slide the trailer over until it was straight again. Then he would back a little farther down the ramp until he jack-knifed again. Needless to say we were not in our blind before daylight that morning but thankfully, to my knowledge, that guy never returned to hunt that area again.

It's stuff like this that makes me think there should be a licensing process to operate a vessel. (It also reinforces my statement that boat ramps are quality entertainment!) I'm not referring to an actual captain's license, you only need that if you're carrying passengers for hire. But at least go take a USCG safe boating course. Heck, I took one when I was 12 years old....BTW, I believe I had the highest score in the class, same as when I took sailing school about 6 years later.

The insanity is that some yee-haaw billy bob redneck can go sign his name on the dotted line and buy a $100K triple prop busting bronco with 900 horsepower, yet, they don't know the first thing about how to run it, (some of them don't even know how to properly back the trailer) they don't even have any business being out there in a 12 foot johnboat with a 6 HP engine, much less a 30 foot Donzi with triple Yamaha 300's

crazymanme2 said:
By us there are signs saying no power loading by all DNR ramps because of erosion.

I believe in some locations in Florida, it's also illegal to power-load, because of tearing up sea grass, etc, as well as the erosion factor.

If I had to load a boat like that....then I would become the brunt of some jokes, because I'd be the idiot tying up the ramp for 1/2 hour. I've power-loaded boats onto trailers for the last 30 years, with the exception of having to float one on the trailer when the engine was disabled, etc.

I power load my big boat, ALWAYS (except once my battery was dead and had to winch it on), however I do just pull on my jon boats. I dunk the trailer way down, float the jon up close, and winch the last couple feet. I am in/out of the water in a couple of minutes with either boat, by myself...

I can power load both of my boats but usually just get wet and crank it up. Some of the ramps are really shallow and the water is full of krap. There are a couple of ramps near me that I have to power load due to the design and location.

I've always power loaded my Tracker as well, most around here power load as well, but then they have to spin the tires on their PU to get that monster out of the water and up the ramp. Saw one guy do a burn out at a very shallow sloped ramp, thought I was at the drag races with all the blue smoke floating in the area.

I've got a Sport Trac with a V6 4.0 L 2wd, and have never spun my tires pulling my boat out, just don't get it why they need to do that? :?:

i really got a kick out of watching some guy try 15 or 20 times to back an empty trailer down a ramp.i got so tired of it i just told him to stop and i dragged the trailer straight and opened his tailgate for him so he could actually see it. then he power loads it and smashes the hell out of his bow :roll:

bcbouy said:
i really got a kick out of watching some guy try 15 or 20 times to back an empty trailer down a ramp.i got so tired of it i just told him to stop and i dragged the trailer straight and opened his tailgate for him so he could actually see it. then he power loads it and smashes the hell out of his bow :roll:

Like I said before....boat ramps are quality entertainment. If you have a designated driver, I recommend sitting at one and having a beer or two, and catching a few laughs. :mrgreen:

TNtroller said:
I've always power loaded my Tracker as well, most around here power load as well, but then they have to spin the tires on their PU to get that monster out of the water and up the ramp. Saw one guy do a burn out at a very shallow sloped ramp, thought I was at the drag races with all the blue smoke floating in the area.

I've got a Sport Trac with a V6 4.0 L 2wd, and have never spun my tires pulling my boat out, just don't get it why they need to do that? :?:
Yea, I've seen a few guys do that too. They act like they're entered in the tractor pull at the county fair.

I can see a place for it with larger, glass boats. Even some large aluminum boats if you're loading them yourself.

For a 16' and under tinny, though, you shouldn't have any issue at all hand loading the boat - roller trailer or bunk trailer. It's not that difficult. 90% of people's issues with loading come from not knowing how far in to put their trailer. Too shallow is just as bad as too deep, and for the guy that only takes his/her boat out four times a year, chances are they're just doing it wrong. I know I can hand load my boat in less time than it takes a good number just to back down the ramp. I've seen my buddy hand load his Sylvan deep V on a roller trailer almost as fast.

As fast as powerloading? Nope. But I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen weekend warriors powerload themselves off the front of their own trailers and cracked their cuddy cruisers.

I don't have a problem either way as long as you're actively DOING something to get your boat out of the water and out of the ramp. I DO have a problem if you're screwing around counting your livewell, putting the tie downs on, or wrestling the inflatable disasters off while your kids run amok.

IMO.

From what I've seen, power loading isn't the problem. It's people who don't know how to do it. They barely get the trailer wet and then want to hammer the throttle down to get the boat on the trailer.

Latest posts