Q's about jon boats for shallow rivers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducktrooper

Reaction score
I'm wanting to order a custom all welded 18'x 46" jon boat for flyfishing and duck hunting. Layout would be very similar to fiberglass river jons with open cockpit, some storage on sides. Plan on getting a smooth hull without the ribs, .100 gauge, putting boat weight around 350 lbs.

My question is would a smooth bottom be prone to getting hung up on rocks or gravel bars any worse than fiberglass jons? I often run in skinny water on tailwaters in AR where depth is 12-18". I can buy a custom all weld for much less than a custom fiberglass version and have it for duck hunting.

Thoughts on how aluminum would compare? Should I add Steel Flex or similar epoxy to hull for added measure? Thanks.

I'd rather be in a tinny any day. I'm looking into picking up a smaller tinny to use to fish the flats with the oyster bars and creeks with the unknowns here in N. Florida. I don't think you'd be hung up any worse. You must have a reason but personally I'd opt for a wider and more stable boat. I'm looking at a bare minimum of 52" wide up to 60" wide. I don't care about LOA as I do width. The narrower will pole better surely but I'd prefer stability.

Just my two pennies

Never seen a fibreglass jon..And yes wider is better 1860.....River

Thanks....actually they are the premier boats for flyfishing the trophy rivers in AR. Very much like riding a cadillac. They have rod trays and tons of storage molded into the sides....my friend has a 20'x 42" and it's incredibly stable.

For me 18x46 is sweetspot for the varied uses I plan, the ability to go solo or up to 3 people, mobility in flooded timber where I hunt, and overall weight. Draft on the boats I'm considering is about 4-6" with average load.

Latest posts