How to adjust steering to center throw on rotary outboard st

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobt

Reaction score
A Friend just noticed the steering on his boat is not centered. Throw on turn to right is about 4 1/2 inches( maybe 2 1/2 turns) and the throw to the left is only about 1 3/4 inches(maybe one turn). Total rod throw is about 6 1/4 inches.
Motor is free and exceeds cable throw in both directions. The cable is relatively free with and without load of the motor.
Two questions:
Does this total throw sound about right? and any idea on how to adjust for an equal throw to center the motor steering?

Mine has an adjustable shaft that's threaded to center motor.

If his doesn't have adjustment maybe the wrong length was installed :?:

My glass boat had a similar issue in that I noticed that the motor traveled farther one way than the other. I was in the process of having a new 90hp motor installed and the shop showed me that the tube was so rusted on the steering that it hindered the travel of the cable so I had them install a new steering system and all is well.

Good luck.

Can't you move the rear mount closer to the motor? If not you'll have to disassemble the steering head and move the rack over a couple of teeth.

Latest posts