hurricane is coming, what to do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acabtp

Reaction score
we might get hurricane conditions from sandy. what should I do with my 14' tin boat, hook the trailer up to my truck so it doesn't blow away and hope for the best? there isn't room in the garage for it.

Here in SC, hurricanes and tropical storms are a common occurrence, unlike the northeast, so, we have to scramble at least once a year, moving boats, and moving equipment and other valuable items from ground floors of houses....as even with flood insurance, nothing below 10 feet is covered (WTF? :?: )

If it were me, I would leave the trailer hooked to the truck, with the plug out of the boat, and strap it down to the trailer. Unless you get more than 3 feet of water from flooding, it should be fine.

ok that's what I was thinking too. The wind is what I am concerned with. We live along a river and will probably get cut off, but my house is on a hill so we shouldn't have flooding right here.

:twisted: I'm down here in South Jersey. Should not be to bad unless you live along the shore or rivers/creeks that are prone to flooding . With the full moon tomorrow things can get real ugly.

I have never been through a hurricane, as I live in the midwest, but I have been through straight line wind storms. Last year we had one that had sustained 130mph winds for at least 30 minutes. Luckily, my boat was in the garage at the time. A neighbor had two boats on trailers, neither of which was hooked up to a truck. All it did was blow them out into a field. I would think hooking it to a truck might be a bad idea because the wind could just rip it right of the trailer. Just a thought. Best of luck and I hope that everything turns out ok.

Last hurricane we got down here I pulled my motor off, pulled the plug, and tied the front and back to small trees so the river couldn't take it. Of course it's just a plain jane skiff with no mods or anything to get damaged as long as a tree didn't fall on it.

Since I always stand watch during hurricanes, whenever it's a bad one, I keep a boat in the yard, on a trailer, with survival gear on board, and then I tie a rope from the boat to a piling on the house. Just in case it starts getting REALLY bad, I can use the rope as a lifeline to make my way to the boat, and then get aboard the boat, and stay that until the flooding has passed.

Haven't yet had to resort to this measure, and hope I never have to. The last time was back in Hurricane Floyd, it had 155 MPH winds when it was just 24 hours from the SC coast, and it was predicted to make landfall here. Then, at the last minute, it turned toward Wilmington, and the wind died down to about 115 (which would be the wind load limit for the house I'm in) But for the several hours leading up to that, I was wondering if I was going to have to ride out a cat 4 or 5 storm in a 18 foot c.c. Sea Hunt.

Good luck to all of you out there on the east coast. Hope it turns out not to be as bad as they are predicting. Hope all goes well, we'll be thinking about you.

Thanks gramps, rain isnt so bad, but I think we are in for a long haul with the wind... I am up on the generator now because the pole supplying power to my house snapped off about 2/3 from the top after a tree fell on the wires. It will probably be days before the power is restored.

My boat is OK so far, knock on wood

PSG, I am glad that Floyd didn't hit you with 155 mph winds, but it did hit us with tons of rain! I was living in Somerville NJ at the time... we get a specific mention on Wikipedia for Hurricane Floyd wiki for record rainfall amounts over 13"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Floyd#Mid-Atlantic
I was a boy scout back then, we distributed literally tons of fresh water to the town afterwards

:twisted: Not to bad here. The Jersey shore really got hammered, especially around Long Beach Island and North. Seaside looks like a war zone. Most people were smart enough about evacuating.

acabtp said:
Thanks gramps, rain isnt so bad, but I think we are in for a long haul with the wind... I am up on the generator now because the pole supplying power to my house snapped off about 2/3 from the top after a tree fell on the wires. It will probably be days before the power is restored.

My boat is OK so far, knock on wood

PSG, I am glad that Floyd didn't hit you with 155 mph winds, but it did hit us with tons of rain! I was living in Somerville NJ at the time... we get a specific mention on Wikipedia for Hurricane Floyd wiki for record rainfall amounts over 13"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Floyd#Mid-Atlantic
I was a boy scout back then, we distributed literally tons of fresh water to the town afterwards

Glad your boat is faring the weather. =D> Although Floyd didn't hammer us with 155 MPH winds, we got a LOT of rain, like 12 inches. All the rivers around here were above flood stage, it was definitely a mess.

Latest posts