Vinyl? Camo Boat Wrap Restoration -Adhesive?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgeardaddy

Reaction score
Mini Project #69 - 1654 w/ roughly 10-year old camowrap overall great condition. Restore camowrap for a few more years of life. Note Fish/Duck Boat - prefer quick fix and roll (this one's not going to the boat show).

Issue is the Tracker tinboat hull side rib area where the camo-wrap material is peeling back or "bridging" off of the boat surface at top and bottom of rib. Top to bottom acroos the horizontal rib the camowrap material stretchs off ~2-inches above and below the rib. This forms two mini-voids along the length of the rib. Still good contact along the rib surface.

Overall initial installation quality is top-shelf (Thanks to whoever that was in WV w/ original owner), it just looks like there was too much tension on the sheet when they applied it to the rib. The rib gap has now peeled open and "breached" in a few places exposing the wrap adhesive backing to whatever we blast through it on the water. I'm using the term "vinyl" here but I have no idea if that's what camo-wrap is formed from.

Struggling with feasibility of re-adhering lightly trimmed campwrap along upper and lower rib "peel-lines" or just whacking the whole strip along the rib off.

In the first scenario you'd be trimming as little as possible to remove rough (dry) camo wrap edges and then bonding the whole "weathered" edge back to the boat. Called one of the Camowrap sources and they suggested 3M Promoter 06396. First tests with that don't look good.

Alternative is to make the camowrap cuts above and trim back/peel the entire weathered horizontal rib zone back to bare Tracker green tinboat skin. This gets it done on salvaging useful camo wrap life but exposes the horizontal hull rib on a complete RealTree HW Green boat wrap. (The rig is beauty in terms of camo-stealth). Buying and re-applying camo along the strip is probably not in consideration. Vinyl against rocks and trees in Duck hunting apps. has a pretty limited useful life.

Adhesive possibilities:
-An applied film of Marine silicone (clear)?
-Film of Weldwood Contact Cement (may eat vinyl)

Bottom line - anyone know if it is possible to re-adhere boat wrap?

Thanks.

Please post a few pictures of the described areas and I will help you out. Seems like the flat areas are good but the installer stretched in areas that have lifted and I need to see pics to explain how to properly fix the rest of the problems. Please also post pictures of the backing adhesive of the said vinyl. It will help me a lot with determining a fix. Pictures will seriously fix it all. Thanks in advance.

I would remove the loose vinyl and re-apply new vinyl of the same camo pattern.

I dont see much in the way of forum tips/FAQ's on posting pictures. Attempting to attach.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 588
  • Typical.JPG
    Typical.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 588
  • straight.JPG
    straight.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 588
  • Wrap_backing.JPG
    Wrap_backing.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 588
The vinyl is 3M 180C V1. It does not appear to be laminated and it looks screen printed, all of that leads me to believe it is Camoclad. They still make that design and can be bought on their website.

I would cut the areas that are lifting being careful not to cut through the vinyl in to the aluminum, peel the vinyl up over the ridge and put new vinyl down working the vinyl in from the top of the ridge to the bottom being extra careful not to stretch anything.

Camoclad seems to have moved on to a bunch of other camo patterns. I dont see ANY Realtree patterns available on their website. Cost is pushing $3/SF plus shipping for Camoclad and some others.

For the replace option I'm looking at two 4"x ~16-foot patches or about 10.6 square feet. $32 fix is not bad.

Thanks.

Latest posts