New member intro and Boat Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccmt

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I have looked through this site extensively and thought it would be a good place to finally sign up and post a little. I'm from Toronto, Canada, and an addicted fisherman! I have no favourite single species, but you can find me standing on a riverbank catching steelhead, out on Lake Ontario chasing salmon and trout or on an inland lake in the Kawartha region going for Bass, Walleye and Muskie. I am by no means wealthy, so anything I do to my boat is always on a small budget.

Anyhow, the end of summer 2011, I purchased a boat that came with removable floors, but there were a few issues. The first is that the floor didn't go all the way to the bow. Because of that there wasn't a lot of room for the foot pedal for the trolling motor when sitting up front. The plywood was old, weathered and beginning to rot out and the 'shelf' where the trolling motor was mounted wasn't quite long enough, so it hung off the end.
01oldpic.jpg

First order of business was to replace that shelf up front. It's now plenty big enough to mount the trolling motor properly.
03newfront.jpg

I had a friend help me on a desgin to extend the floor all the way to the bow instead of leaving that space open from the front bench forward. The key here was to minimize drilling directly into the boat!
04new.jpg

Water sealed all the parts
05sealed.jpg

Put on some marine grade carpeting....
06carpeted.jpg

Now the floor extends all the way to the bow...and can be raised for storage.
07hatch.jpg

Now came the task of replacing the rotting plywood for the main part of the casting deck.
08oldfloor.jpg

Brand new plywood, water sealed and ready for assembly.
09new.jpg

Best make sure it fits in the boat before I go any further...CHECK!
10makesure.jpg

Time to carpet, make sure the hatch is installed and lifts up...and put the seat base back in.
11carpeted.jpg

Fits like a glove! WHEW!
11aalmost.jpg

To finished things off...I reinstalled the trolling motor bracket and wiring, and reinstalled the light base.
12installed.jpg

A great looking mod C!

Are there any fasteners holding the decking down? Or is it just weight and friction fit?

What kind of adhesive did you use for the carpet?

Do you keep your boat in a garage?

I need you to reserve me a spot on that boat the next time I'm up there. :wink:

jigngrub said:
A great looking mod C!

Are there any fasteners holding the decking down? Or is it just weight and friction fit?

What kind of adhesive did you use for the carpet?

Do you keep your boat in a garage?

I need you to reserve me a spot on that boat the next time I'm up there. :wink:

No fastners...the framing fits snugly between the middle and front bench so it cant move around when towing or boating. I can't remember the exact adhesive, but the guy at Lowe's (where I got the marine grade carpeting) handed me a tub of stuff to use on it...

Boat is stored in the garage...it never goes below freezing in there. And whenever you are up my way, there is always a seat in my boat for you!!

jigngrub said:
So what are you thinking about for your livewell? Portable or permanent?

I haven't decided quite yet...likely portable. There are plenty of trips I take for bigger fish that I have no intention of keeping, so it would be great to leave it out of the boat. For the days perching with my daughter, or targeting Kawartha walleye, I'd bring it along...

Still thinking of hollowing out that middle bench though :wink:

Welcome to Tinboats. The mod looks great and it looks like you added function as well as solving problems with your mod. What brand is that seat (blue/grey) on the casting deck in the very first pic you posted. Looks very comfortable and strong.

ccmt said:
jigngrub said:
So what are you thinking about for your livewell? Portable or permanent?

I haven't decided quite yet...likely portable. There are plenty of trips I take for bigger fish that I have no intention of keeping, so it would be great to leave it out of the boat. For the days perching with my daughter, or targeting Kawartha walleye, I'd bring it along...

Still thinking of hollowing out that middle bench though :wink:

If you decide on the portable, check out these vids on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+a+livewell&oq=how+to+make+a+livewell&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0l4.2363.9888.0.10596.22.13.0.9.9.0.112.1247.9j4.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.NWIYEFIsgYc

Latest posts