Harbor Freight Ratchet Tie Downs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
I was looking at getting some retractable ratchet tie downs for my trailer...I didn't have anywhere to attach a strap without mouting some sort of eye bolt to the frame or wrapping the strap around the rear cross member. I liked the look of the retractable ones on the high end bass boats. But the cheapest ones I found at Bass Pro were over $70....Found some retracting ratchet tie downs at Harbor Freight. There is a spring inside that retracts the slack up. They were only $14! I cut off the fixed end of the strap, and bolted the ratchet assembly directly to the trailer frame. Not sure how long they will last getting dunked in the water, but the reviews aren't too bad. They are sold out online, but I found them in the store. I'll let you know how they hold up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-retractable-ratcheting-tie-down-65847.html

2012-11-07_18-05-33_7.jpg

Matt

My experience with generic ratcheting tie downs is that they don't weather very well. I have a father-in-law who likes to leave them outside. If they last a season, they're doing well.

I would hit them with a good bit of lithium grease each spring and fall, and probably once more during the season. Keeping them greased will make them last as long as possible.

I've tried smaller Harbor Freight ratcheting straps before. They didn't last very long in the marine environment. I use boat straps from West Marine for both of my boats. They are easy to use and very stout IMO.

If you can find a Yamaha or Kubota dealer, go back to the shop and ask them if they have any extra crate tie downs left. They have a ratchet, just like all other ratchet straps but no hooks. The ratchets are DESIGNED to be stuck out in the weather. I've got a couple Kubota ones (they hold the B-series tractor in the crate). The two I have are about 3 years old now, still look new. Kind of ugly (the fabric strap is orange) but they work very well. The Yamaha Rhino's used to be tied down into the trailers for transport with the same tie downs, but they were black strap instead of orange.

just FYI, those orange ratchet tie downs sold by Harbor Freight are the EXACT same ones as the orange ratchet tie downs sold by Home Depot except that the rubber piece on the ratchet lever is molded larger (better) for the harbor freight ones. and home depot charges $3 or $4 more per set for them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html

as far as them lasting outside, if you spray them down with WD-40 once or twice a year, they last just fine. after i started doing that, i only manage to destroy them by letting the strap webbing rub on sharp edges or by running them over. i am freshwater only though.

I think all I'll do is fully extend the strap and soak the mechanism with WD-40 a couple of times a year. They seem to be built solidly enough, I was only worried about the retracting spring failing over time. If they last two years, I'll go buy another set and still be $50 ahead of where I'd be if I bought the expensive ones. A friend of mine has a early 2000s Ranger, and it came with the nice retracting ones...They are at least 10yrs old and in need of replacement, so even the expensive ones are not built to last a life time.

Latest posts