That pesky livewell thru hull hole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit

Reaction score
I converted the livewell to storage, moving it and had this hole where the thru-hull was:
8173470534_d2e1a9f732.jpg

I didn't want to weld it and couldn't find anything made to plug it so I made a plug:
8173399387_e419ccc145.jpg

Used just a bit of JB Weld between the washer and bolt, filled the threads to keep the nut on. Tried to
keep it off the aluminum. Tightened it up real good.
The bolt head has been ground down so it won't catch a rock and tear my hull out. Lots of grinding. I spaced it out so as not to get bored.
All stainless. Rubber washers from the hardware store. I used three, one is cut with a utility knife to fit the 1 1/8" hull hole. It's in the middle. Bolt is 3/4".
When you crank this thing down tight and the rubber has expanded, you know it ain't ever gonna leak:
8173404357_6172022091.jpg

Just in case it does leak I'll make a hatch for the hole in the floor. I thought you weren't supposed to hide thru-hulls
like say under a livewell?
More later.

Was that livewell part of a console or standalone? Any pictures of before you started work?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for a livewell in my boat.

It was a stand alone well. Was right in the middle of the boat in the way of everything. Boat is stick steer and I moved it
under the driver's seat.

Latest posts