15 hp 14 ft v-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
Got a 15 hp johnson 14 ft v-hull tracker guide v toying with the idea of some intra-coastal fishing north carolina area am I crazy or what! on a calm day that is any thoughts...

you wont have any problems just use your head - watch the sky for storms blowing in - and dont be in the inlets on an out going tide--

where you located

btw the wind most always blows at the coast-- but the intracostal will be fine and the grass flats to fish -- just watch the bays for rough water-

i have a 16 ft and my brother has a 14ft and we fish the intracostal with out any problems -

Took my 15HP 14ft v-hull briefly out in the gulf off South Padre Island. The Intracoastal Waterway was a better choice except after dark. Almost broadsided a freighter as its navigational lights were waaaay above the water line which is where I was. Probably won't do it again as I still have salt deposits on some of my fittings. I prefer fresh-water.
Good luck.

Rich27028 said:
you wont have any problems just use your head - watch the sky for storms blowing in - and dont be in the inlets on an out going tide--

where you located

btw the wind most always blows at the coast-- but the intracostal will be fine and the grass flats to fish -- just watch the bays for rough water-

i have a 16 ft and my brother has a 14ft and we fish the intracostal with out any problems -

I am located in southport nc. I was mainly concerned about the motor power I'm getting around 15 to 17 mph with just me and some gear if I add a fishing buddy of 175 lbs or so I will get even less anddon't want to fight to get back in. It would be the first time the boat and motor were in salt. The motors a 1976 and I just finished painting it and dollin it up. And I hear aluminum and salt don't do well they have a tendancy to eat away at the metal..

Any time you put a trailered boat into saltwater, you have to flush the outboard motor with fresh water and throughly washdown the entire boat with fresh water within hours of pulling the boat. If you don't, your boat and motor will rot away.

No if's, ands or buts !!!

im going to disagree with some of that - outboards on boats sit for weeks in salt water- some even longer - and dont rot away- - it is a good idea to flush the motor slows down salt buildup- lots of tin boats in salt water--
-
to op-- my brothers 14ft only has a 5 horse outboard on it - as long as you stay out of an outgoing rip in the inlets you will be fine --

my 16ft has a 30 yamaha--

Rich27028 said:
im going to disagree with some of that - outboards on boats sit for weeks in salt water- some even longer - and dont rot away- - it is a good idea to flush the motor slows down salt buildup- lots of tin boats in salt water--
-
to op-- my brothers 14ft only has a 5 horse outboard on it - as long as you stay out of an outgoing rip in the inlets you will be fine --

my 16ft has a 30 yamaha--

Thanks good news gonna have to give it a try.. As far as running fresh water through the engine and hosing my boat I have had several boats over the years and I always maintain them when I am done in salt. But this is my first aluminum boat I want to try to use in saltwater. So this is what lead me to my questions also this is the smallest engine I have ever owned to ply the salt waterways. Caution and respect for the water is my credo allways. Thanks gents for your responses.

I run my 14' Lowe 100% of the time in salt. I too disagree with the statement that you have to flush every time, but I try to do it on a weekly basis or so. I use my Lowe 2-4 times a week (typically evenings after work) and my glass boat 1-2 times a week (typically weekends). My Lowe is strictly for ICW and river use, and the glass boat is for nearshore, cruising, and partying. Anything more than 15 miles offshore, I leave to friends boats and charters!

ste6168 said:
I run my 14' Lowe 100% of the time in salt. I too disagree with the statement that you have to flush every time, but I try to do it on a weekly basis or so. I use my Lowe 2-4 times a week (typically evenings after work) and my glass boat 1-2 times a week (typically weekends). My Lowe is strictly for ICW and river use, and the glass boat is for nearshore, cruising, and partying. Anything more than 15 miles offshore, I leave to friends boats and charters!
And you find that the salt on the aluminum does not have an adverse effect on it as long as you hose it down I would assume

Latest posts