Anyone have a 12ft Deep V?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_Duck

Reaction score
I'm looking at options for a small creek/river/trout boat. I currently have a 10ft Alumacraft jon and although it's excellent for what it is, I don't trust it much fishing two people if we're standing/casting actively. My problem doesn't come so much from instability as it does the fact that with my 230lb butt in the back and outboard it wouldnt take much side to side movement to swamp the back of it. So it's more a side height thing. So I've been looking at Towees, Gheenoes, and such and a friend at work suggested I get a small deep v. So I've been looking at the Lunds, Alumacrafts, Smokercrafts, and other 12ft Deep Vs. Seems most are around 170lb give or take so I can still wrestle it into the truck. I'm not sure how much deeper one would set in the water vs the jon given it's got more width but I dont think it'd be bad. Anyone run such or have experience with one? It'd be powered by either my 4hp or 7.5hp Merc.

I have a 12' deep V powered with a 7.5hp. For one person it's great, but I also fish large water as well as rivers. With one person I can plane out fully loaded and modded, but it's work. With two it's slow - I can't imagine how slow it would be with a 4hp. It also drafts deeper than I expected - not bad, but it's at least 5-6" in the rear with me, the motor and a trolling motor on the back.

I put a low deck in the front, it's good for what it is, but it's not as stable as a nice wide jon.

If I were you, I'd go straight to a 1448 and skip a 12'er since your focusing on the river. Put a 9.9 on it, and a basic trailer and call it a day.

Tossin' it in the back of the truck is one reason I had been looking at that size. Plus on a couple rivers I fish I need to be able to drag or carry it through a few rough/shallow spots.

Latest posts