My first boat....16ft Ouachita fixer upper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cak7700

Reaction score
Here's my 1636 flat bottom Ouachita and trailer that I picked up for $250. I'm not sure of the year. The title from Arkansas that I got with the boat says it a 72 and has "NONE" for the Hull Identification Number. The HIN number on the boat ends in 73. The Parks and Wildlife Department said I need to have a game warden inspect it before I can register it. The HIN on the boat also only has 11 digits and they said it should have 12. Hopefully I will be able to get the paperwork straightened out for this boat because I have already replaced the transom. I have found so much information here on tinboats over the past few weeks but I was wondering about that rusty piece of metal somebody bolted into the front of the bow. The handle in front of the boat is bolted through it. Should I take it off so it doesn't affect the aluminum or should there be support behind the handle? Everything underneath it looks fine, as far as I can tell. No dents and the front bench is still riveted under the ugly metal plate. I found answers for most of my other questions by searching the forums. Thank yall so much for the useful information.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 2,571
  • bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,571
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,571
Hello, cak7700, very nice find. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I am sure others will chime in with suggestions on the metallurgy. My suggestion is to first complete the registration process before you put much effort or $ into mods. Welcome aboard.

id remove that rusted peice on the bow for sure! cant figure out why whoever put it there myself. oh and im almost100% positive it wasnt to support the handle...

Thanks shawnfish. Thats what I was hoping to hear. I should have the title soon. Then I will continue my work and keep you guys updated. Here are a few more pictures of a livewell the previous owner made..

Attachments

• livewell box.jpg
    livewell box.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 2,486
  • phone 3372.jpg
    phone 3372.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,486
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 2,486
Welcome to the Ouachita family! They seem to be pretty well made, and clean up pretty good, too! (Mine's a 16DSV.)

Attachments

• Semi_Vee 16DSV.jpg
    Semi_Vee 16DSV.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,482
Thanks Ringo, nice boat. And Rich, dont worry the boat is being pulled by the red Suburban in the background. The truck needs a new u-joint but its on the back burner now.

Now its official. She's mine! :lol: I finally got the title transfered from Arkansas and I'm ready to get 'er done. I took it out for a test and it did fine except for two bolt holes from the old rod holder I took out that are below the water line. We temporarily plugged them up and no more leaks. I'm trying to decide if I want to seal with rivets or bolts, and 3M 5200 of course. Since then I stripped off everything and started painting. I just brought up the idea of camo, but now my girls are so excited theres no turning back. I will post more pictures of my progress soon.

I took the transom back off and put 4 coats of spar urethane. I wanted to do something that would last longer but the transom barely fit to begin with so I can't coat it with anything that will make it any thicker. We got most of the painting done and I ordered some closed end rivets to seal those holes below the water line. I'm looking for a motor now so I can take it out again and see what else I want to do with it. I over drilled all the holes in the transom and coated well with the urethane. Is there anything I can use to fill all the holes even though I've already put the urethane on or should I just leave it as is?

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,259
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,259
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,259
  • IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,259
We're not done painting the inside of the boat, we spent most of our time on the outside when I had it off the trailer. I put another thick coat of spar urethane in the holes in the transom and decided to leave it like that. Right now I'm more concerned about this split in the aluminum in the transom(see picture). It was there when I got the boat and the PO had a piece of aluminum folded over part of the split on the inside. Should I leave it alone or try to repair? I'm open to all suggestions. It seems like I've read on here somewhere that outboards can slide off aluminum easier than wood if not bolted in. Is that really a problem or should it be ok if tight enough? I dont plan on bolting in my motor until I use it a few times and there are plenty of stumps where I plan on going. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 2,213
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,213
Nice rig!!!

My guess on that piece of metel bolted to the nose is that it was to reinforce the handle since thats what they are pulling on with the trailer winch. The aluminum itself is very thin there and it wouldnt take much to pull the handle off since its designed to lift the boat, not pull it. I made a similar contraption on the front of my boat. I used a piece of 1/4" aluminum diamond pate that I had to reinforce the nose. I added a bow eye bolted through the boat and the reinforcing plate so I could hook to it and pull the boat on the trailer. I should be able to pull the boat in half before I pull that bow eye out of the boat!!

I would have that split in the transom cap welded, and maybe have a plate/angle welded over it for good measure.