alternative carpet material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boykinboy

Reaction score
Cool site yall have! I'm building a deck for my boat and need a deck carpet and inside flooring. Problem is I fish saltwater so it needs to stand up to the rigors or duck hunting saltwater fishing and Largemouth bass. It doeant neccisarly need to be camo but a dark green or tan color. I need a material for my deck(plywood) and to go on my floor so its not so hot. Looking at hydro turf now, I can get all I need for like $80 +$30 if I want it to be 3M adhesive. Is there any other products like that around that price? Will be able to stand up for some time so I'm not replacing it every year?

You can use paint the plywood using epoxy. Like the stuff they use to paint garage floors. You can get it in many colors and will last awhile.

Thanks, will look! Also I want to cut hatches in the plywood..do I need to buy plastic hatches and screw em in, or can o just cut my own? A little worried about steppin on the joists and bending the lid. What are some good hatches and where to get em? Or handles that are flush to the deck? Thanks

You can cut your own. This way you have the same color. And I would trust wood more than plastic hatches. An here is a link to get an idea of a hatch handle. https://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=130789134972

I had Hydro Turf on my last boat - but trust me, it still gets hot (and I'm in Georgia)... Carpet was actually cooler than the hydro turf, but I wore flip flops and it didn't bother me.

On the adhesive, I don't know how well what they have on the Hydro Turf works, but I used 3M 90 spray adhesive and it held up well for 3 years... but it just started "bubbling" in patches this past year. It never did become unattached around the edges, only in the middle.

I am also looking at options for decking and I am in conversation with Aqua Traction. I am waiting for a quote on cut to fit for my G3 1966 model. I have a friend that just had it installed on his flats Fly Boatworks 18 and he is very pleased with it. www.aquatraction.com
I am looking at the camo and from what I have seen of the product so far it looks like a nice alternative.

I put a marine plywood floor in a 16' Alumacraft a couple years ago and took the sections along with the seat bench tops to my local LineX dealer. He gave me a reasonable price (can't remember what it was) and he sprayed the tops and edges of all of the pieces with my choice of a LineX color. I went with a light gray.

They turned out great. A couple very small blems wherever there happened to be a splinter that had come out, but they looked super, and functioned great too.

lukethedog said:
I am also looking at options for decking and I am in conversation with Aqua Traction. I am waiting for a quote on cut to fit for my G3 1966 model. I have a friend that just had it installed on his flats Fly Boatworks 18 and he is very pleased with it. https://www.aquatraction.com
I am looking at the camo and from what I have seen of the product so far it looks like a nice alternative.

Lets us know price wise what they want. Their website is very vague. I'm in the same market for flooring as you.

Thx

Just stain the plywood; won't peel or crack; you can touch it up where it wears; allows the wood to breath - less rot.

Screw a hardwood 1x3 stringer or two across the bottom of your plywood deck lid to take the "bounce" deflection out of it and glue and screw 1x3 ledgers to support the lid and hinge on all four sides.

the quote came in at $550. that is C&C cut to fit my deck configuration for the front deck, hatches and rear deck. I want to include some reel pads so I am still in discussion.

Latest posts