Lifting Boat/Remove From Trailer - Paint or Linex ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
Ok, so for those of you with larger and heavier tins, how do you get the boat off the trailer and onto a set of stands etc for maintenance such as painting etc. Before to horribly long, I'll need to take the boat off the trailer to sand/prep and paint the bottom of the hull and then on to the interior. No, I don't have 10 or 15 guys that can lend a hand. I don't have a Gantry Crane nor access to one etc. No big oak trees here in the yard in N. Florida etc.

Debating which route to go. Either do all of the prep/paint myself and the prep being the hardest part OR alternatively, I can bring the boat down to Sarasota and they can Linex the entire hull inside and out in two colors for around $2400.
Yes, expensive. About $11 a ft. They use a new material that's only available to a few shops (supposedly). They've been spraying boats for a long long time and know what they are doing, they sandblast the entire hull inside and out, chemical wash etc. Boat is an 1872 SeaArk. Motor will be off but the hull alone is pushing 900 pounds and change.

On the plus side with Linex, it's a one time deal and basically forever unless you drop a stick of dynamite on it. The boats I've seen still look like the day they were done after 5 plus years. The down side COST. Doing a DYI paint job, will be FAR cheaper but the results appearance wise won't be as good I'm sure. I don't have a sandblaster, I don't have a spray gun for painting and have read negatives on the Wagner Power Sprayer results... I used one years back doing a house and I was NOT impressed. The one thing I KNOW from a lot of reading on various sites is that with aluminum prep is the key and extremely time consuming. The jury is still out on which way to go here.

Regardless, should I go the DYI route I will still be faced with determining a SAFE way to get the boat off the trailer and keep it up on lifts or blocks for painting etc and then getting her back on the trailer.

So how about some thoughts ? Attached a couple of pics of hulls they've done in Linex. Hull is an 07 SeaArk 1872 and just looking at the dollars and sense aspects, nada lists the avg value of only the hull at $3900. My investment in the hull only is $1200.00. Even investing $2400 to do the entire hull, I've still only got $3600 into the hull so I'm not "upside down" to speak. None the less, a boat is NOT an investment anyway lol and the boat is something I'd keep for years to come.

So drop some knowledge and thoughts on me :mrgreen:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 431
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 431
I removed my motors and slowly slid the hull off the trailer and onto the blocks

It is a 2 man job as one guy has to move the trailer out from under the boat while the other blocks it

To get it back on i just tilted the trailer up in the air until I got the bow over the trailer guides and cranked it on

Captain Ahab said:
I removed my motors and slowly slid the hull off the trailer and onto the blocks

It is a 2 man job as one guy has to move the trailer out from under the boat while the other blocks it

To get it back on i just tilted the trailer up in the air until I got the bow over the trailer guides and cranked it on
X-2 thats the way I do it cva34

Latest posts