Closing the gap... replacing rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
So took a gander at my boat today... it's winter and feel like I am at a standstill... cant do GluvIt yet...and dont want to put any rivets it becuase of the rigidity of the boat... just feels cold and fragile..

Anyway... where I had to remove 3 rivets in a row along the rib, near the centerline, I can see maybe a 1/16" gap between the rib and hull... of course this isnt apparent where there are rivets in place...which is nice and snug..

I have a feeling that if I were to just try to pop some rivets in there with some 3M...the gap would still remain, and I would have to thrown down some heavy GluvIt...(which I plan to do anyway).

However, I would like to try to eliminate that gap regardless...

Had a few ideas come to mind...

#1...wait till spring summer so the alum is more flexible...

#2... use some form of car jack and a chunk of 2x4 under the boat to jack it up and have one of my kids stand on the hull (or other heavy weight)...

I cant do any type of clamp...nor do any other feasible ideas come to mind...

So just thought I would throw that out and see what you all think.

thx

Use a screw and nut in one of the holes to draw the rib and bottom together, then put rivets in the other two holes.

Idea #2 would probably work but using the method krawler posted would be simpler. You might need to use a large washer on the bottom side of the boat so it spreads the pulling out over a larger area than just the head of a bolt.

Latest posts