Mounting seats? 12 V-bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANZIG

Reaction score
Howdy folks, New here and have a question for you V-bow guys.

12 ft, 60's(?), Starcraft V-bow
I am to the point of deciding on mounting seats. Down low with those swivel mounts, or a bit higher on pedestal mounts?

Eyeballing the P mounts, it seemed I would sitting pretty high, 5 or so inches off the bench. Sitting above the boat seemed like if would feel kind of squirrelly to me.

I was wondering if that high, is too high? What do you think?

I have a 12' fiberglass V and I did a recessed deck between the front and middle benches, as low as possible, with a pedestal seat in the middle of the deck. It is stable while sitting, but standing requires some balance.

I know a Danzig from another forum and am wondering if you are the same - is this Paul?

I have a 16' Starcraft V. Beam is 6.5'. I decked up to the height of the original benches and use regular pedestal seats on the deck. My boat is very stable and does not shift around a lot with movement. I fish standing on the deck most of the time. I'm not sure if stability relies more on the width of the boat or length or both. Do what I did and take the boat out with a piece of wood on the benches to stand on and move around the "deck" to see how it is. How wide is your boat? Anything under 4.5 to 5' on a V is probably not going to be very stable with a deck at bench level.

I will tell you right now you don't want a high deck on a 12 foot vee. But, a low one, just enough to give a level surface at the bottom of the hull is a great addition. I would think that a 5 inch pedestal wouldn't change the balance that much. On my last 12 foot vee, the seats were flush on the benches, and stability was no problem whatsoever. When crappie fishing, you could offset the bench to operate the tiller, turn the seat sideways, and prop your feet on the gunwales, without a problem at all. Only thing was, I am not a crappie fisherman. #-o #-o

These are the ones I made for my 12' Semi V. They sit 7" above the metal bench. Just the right height and they don't hurt the stability at all.

100_3956.jpg

100_3957.jpg

Matt, I am the same DANZIG from the Catfish1 Board.

I guess I should have been more clear. No deck on this one. Just going for a bit of dress up, Paint, SS bolts, new wood, seats with a back, maybe some electrics. The seats will be mounted to the benches.

GatorTom, Looking at roughly 4ft wide.

Jim, thanks neighbor. My pleasure! Glad you would have me.

BassBoy1 thanks!

ACarbone624, Wow, you are sitting in the clouds. Think that will fly in a river? Two up in Barge waves?
Looking at yours, I get the same feeling as when I looked at mine that way, Squirrely. But then you have been out in it and I have not.

If that works, I may go that way. Will allow me to have quickly removable seats and still use the bench without something up my behind.

DANZIG said:
!

ACarbone624, Wow, you are sitting in the clouds. Think that will fly in a river? Two up in Barge waves?
Looking at yours, I get the same feeling as when I looked at mine that way, Squirrely. But then you have been out in it and I have not.

If that works, I may go that way. Will allow me to have quickly removable seats and still use the bench without something up my behind.

Its pretty stable. The faster I go the more stable it seems. My boat looks like you are sitting pretty high in the pics but for me its very comfortable....and them being removable is a bonus. I use rachet straps to secure them to the bench....them don't move one bit.

Thanks, I think I may go that way.

I have worked out a mounting that consists of a galvanized floor flange, 3" pipe, and cap that will be mounted under the (wooden) bench. My seats have a pole and spring under them so I will use a large washer on the top side of the bench so the spring does not dig in.

Any one seeing any problems with doing it that way?

Latest posts