Making Diesel from Algae?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thudpucker

Reaction score
Any of you guys heard of that?
I've been 'interested' for years.

Raise Algae (Botryococcus braunii). Move the Bio MESS (its called Mass, but it stinks) out for drying. Then the lipids we want are in that mess. We have to crush or dissolve that Jelly like Lipid to get the oil out of the inside.
That part is kinda dangerous. Too much heat, compression or Electronic excitation will net a BIG WHOOSH!

Have any of you looked into that? Let's collaborate if you have.

It don't get much news. Just lately in Frisco it will be on sale for a month. Still over $4.50/Gal though.

On a large scale, the U.S. Gov. put out an effort to see is it's viable. Didn't work out financially on both tries.
Right now Crude is $97./Bbl. The Guestimate for Algae diesel is $290/Bbl and as high as $325/Bbl. That is saying the profits not there for large Corporations to invest in.

But for us, the guys that have room for a Shed etc, we could get by making a Tank full for ever three Tanks we buy.
Eventually as we learn and improve it's gonna get cheaper.

Re; Boats.
Some people have boats holding a couple hundred Gallons of Diesel. They don't use those boats real often. So in between uses they could be filling the tanks. Those boats would be on the Water more often if fuel wasn't so costly. If we could make our own, there's a good chance the Ameircan buyer/spender would get back on the road and the whole economy would begin to grow again.

If it's ever going to work, America could get rid of Gas Buggys altogether. Make it all Diesel. Except for the small things like Chain saws, Mowers etc. Imagine a "Kit" to convert all our V-8's to a 4Cyl Diesel. I'd jump at it. I'd be driving my neat old 77 F-150 again.

Latest posts