Waterlogged foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultra353

Reaction score
I just picked up a new boat project and i`ve taken out the flooring.The carpet and wood were trashed. I sometimes can`t believe people just let things get destroyed ( lucky for us Tin Boaters i guess) . I`ve taken out the foam as about 1"-2" is waterlogged . The foam came out relatively easy as 1 or 2 large pieces. Is there any way of drying out this foam as i would like to reuse it because it has the right bottom countour and floor height/support when i put in the new wood.
Its sitting in the garage right now and is draining some. I`ve thought about cutting off the waterlogged part and just using some flat foam in place of the removed part, but i don`t know if it will come out to the correct height and stability of the original . I have the whole winter to let it sit as i can`t seal the inside of the boat until it warms up again. Any thoughts?
Its a `89 Smokercraft Resorter 16ft, side console, with `89 Mercury 40hp 4cyl motor.

If it was mine I would trash it and install new and go with closed cell foam. Because the old foam will take on water again and again. Just my opinion

Steve

Buy closed cell foam from Lowe's or go to the dollar store and buy pool noodles for a buck each and use them, they work better.

Latest posts